Country
USA
Network
PBS TV Network
Genre

Top Contributors

Masterpiece Theatre tv show photo

Masterpiece Theatre

Masterpiece (formerly known as Masterpiece Theatre) is a drama anthology television series produced by WGBH Boston. It premiered on PBS on January 10, 1971, making it America's longest-running weekly primetime drama series. The series, which is credited with introducing American audiences to high quality British drama, has presented hundreds of acclaimed British productions.

Message Board

Ask New Question
« Back to discussion list
soler
expert
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

7 years ago
Comments

Deedee, Paul Ritter is the scientist you first meet in E1 of Chernobyl that bullies everyone (the other scientists on staff) in to going in to the throes of the reactor and continuing to call people to the site even though he was being told that the core had exploded. I am only up to E3, and he has not been back on screen as yet, put the reviews of E4 show him again.

He was largely to blame for losing precious time to try to limit the amount of people exposed because he would not listen to what he was being told... and overriding everyone's points of fact and concerns and letting others in authority believe that everything was under control when in reality, things were far from that. He had help though, because there were two others (and an older Communist comrade) that aided and abetted him in the cover-up. It is because of these people that so many more had to suffer with radiation poisoning and died.

This is the real horror that we see on screen... yes, watching people suffer and die because of the nuclear power plant explosion is horrendous and heartbreaking, but the crux of what we see happen was because of the political framework of communist Russia at that time and how it was built upon lie on top of lie, on top of lie. There was no truth to be found anywhere in the hierarchy. From what I have read, it was Chernobyl that was the undoing of the Communist Party as it was known in Russia.

I went to IMDB to check on the Swedish actor Stellan Skarsgard who I recognized, I knew him from The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, but couldn't remember where else he was familiar from - it was the TV series River . I started to read the reviews of Chernobyl and let me tell you they are worth reading, one after the other from individuals who were children at the at time or who had family that were there and lived through it. They gave it high marks for accurately portraying the time and place of it all and seemly thankful for someone telling the story.

(I have read that the story as shown is fictional and does take liberties that raise an eyebrow. I don't think that was what is important to those who lived it, or had family that did... it is that the story is being told for what really happened with the cover-up.)

Watching those miners risk their lives, with no expectation or promise that they would be taken care of in the future (and they weren't, no surprise on that) was awe inspiring. They saved millions of lives, it was in every sense of the word true heroism.

8 days ago
appara2
guru

I really enjoyed Chernobyl, are you just now watching for the first time Brit? I remember looking for background on the real people from that disaster. It was so far away, and not like now with instant (and sometimes too much) coverage, that the real event didn't have any lasting impact on me.

Yes, I'm still watching Seaside hotel and enjoying it. Not sure how many seasons they will air on PBS, but I know there are 8 seasons out there!

One of my channels aired Rosemary & Thyme over the winter and I watched them all!! I too wouldn't mind seeing a reboot of that show! I was surprised that everywhere they stayed had a cute little room with twin beds for them! lol

8 days ago

Yes Appara, it is the first time. The only reason I started watching it was because Deedee mentioned that Paul Ritter was in it. I am glad that I did, to say that it is eye opening is an understatement.

I was surprised that everywhere they stayed had a cute little room with twin beds for them!

Always! And so beautifully decorated... the rooms are a picture on to themselves (much less the gardens they designed). There is also (always) vases of fresh flowers in the room. The attention to detail is phenomenal.

8 days ago
deedee713
guru

Thanks, Brit. Shame on me, I can't recall him and couldn't watch it again, I'm afraid. Too powerful and too indicative of what government does and what the people allow them to get away with in the name of power. As the very clever governor of our state has banked on, people have short memories. News from two weeks ago is shortly forgotten.

Did you see River? I enjoyed it, although I found it very sad.

Brit, Appara, I loved the friendship in R&T, it was adult and intelligent. They threw romantic interests at them, but thankfully (it isn't America), they were short lived. But the best part of the show? The gardens. The beautiful, meticulously cared for, perfectly arranged gardens. I read somewhere that England is the same horticultural zone as VA, so try as I might (in NY) I could never recreate anything they do in that show. I lost so many plants in the 25 years I have been gardening! Thankfully, I have finally given up. The geometrical precision of some of the gardens is mind boggling in that country, and the constant care they require is equally astounding.

7 days ago
theprisoner6
Employee

Very cool find, Deedee. Thank you!

7 days ago
deedee713
guru

You're welcome!

7 days ago

CANNES CONFIDENTIAL
Network: Acorn TV
Thanks, I caught this on your list, Deedee, I guess I am not going to stop my Acorn TV subscription as I planned!

Date: 2021
This Acorn TV Original series blends comedy, romance, mystery, and crime along the Cote d’Azur. Written by Midsomer Murders and Van der Valk writer Chris Murray, the series will be the first English-language procedural to be produced and set in the region since the 1970s classic The Persuaders.

7 days ago

Did you see River? I enjoyed it, although I found it very sad.

Yes I did, I really enjoyed it the first go around, but then I decided to watch again, and as you once said, shows don't always improve on a re-watch...and I found that to be true with this one. River did not hold up for me in the same way the second time around. I should have let it be, not everything has the staying power of Vera. :)

7 days ago
appara2
guru

Speaking of firsts - one of my channels has started Lewis from the beginning again!
Hathaway at the airport (with name placard) to pick him up for the first time, a few references to Morse having worked on a connecting case, and a young girl competing for the (anonymous) Endeavor music scholarship!

I just watched the final not long ago, and I realized that when Lewis and Laura Hobson walk out the door on their way to the airport - Hathaway is standing outside beside his car holding a name placard. Circle of life! LOL

7 days ago
soler
expert

appara ... are you a Lewis fan ? I preferred Lewis as a side kick of Morse and never really saw him as a lead detective .... but I enjoyed the series because of the performance of DS James Hathaway played by Laurence Fox. Funny you brought this up as I was just reading an article about Mr. Fox a few days ago. He is a man who speaks his mind . ( ' speaks his mind ' funny to use that phrase because I've been hearing it a few times since the death of Prince Phillip as a way of the Palace spin doctors excusing Phillip's well known penchant for gaffs. But I digress ... Here is the article I have been referring to ....

Laurence Fox says 'paedophile' is a 'meaningless insult' | Daily Mail Online

6 days ago
deedee713
guru

appara2, I didn't like the 'schmoopy' Lewis at first. I wished they had ended the series when Lewis and Hathaway were having pints at that bench.

In hindsight, what I wouldn't give for more Lewis in light of the wasteland on my TV.

6 days ago
theprisoner6
Employee

Schmoopy? Wasn't that chawie bwown's dog?

6 days ago

From what I have read, Lawrence Fox is not one that goes quietly in the night, Soler. He doesn't seem to worry about how vocalizing his opinions will affect his career. He certainly does speak his mind.

The fourth episode of "Chernobyl" is a tough one... I could not watch that one again.

6 days ago
appara2
guru

Too funny theprisoner6!! One of my nephews talked exactly like that...great memories!!

Yes, I'm a Lewis fan. Altho it took a beat to get into Lewis on his own, and if wasn't for Hathaway and his quirky personality I probably wouldn't have stuck with it.
I'll give Fox credit for standing by his opinions, I'm thinking some of my views on current media stories would not be popular either LOL

I can't say I've been in a wasteland at all. But, a lot of the shows that I enjoy are probably not for everyone. I've picked up a few (new to me) shows, some that aired so long ago I don't remember a lot of the episodes. For instance - Keeping Faith has now been replaced with George Gently

As soon as I read the first few lines of the descriptor for Chernobyl, I knew where you were in the series. Soon coming to the conclusion, and who was held responsible.....

6 days ago
deedee713
guru

prisoner6, if you haven't, you must see the Seinfeld episode where he and his newest gf call each other 'schmoopy' and make the rest of the gang gag.

Brit, Chernobyl is a show that, to paraphrase Dorothy Parker, is a show best seen and not seeing. It was that good but thanks to the excellence of the production, is a VERY hard watch.

6 days ago

George Gently with the dashing Martin Shaw... great show, but there were some really tough episodes in that one... so much so, I can still recall them, they left such an impact. Not a series I could go back and watch a second time. Shaw was wonderful as Gently, he made that role a standout. Bacchus, for me, was annoying as hell, he was an idiot. I never took to him.

I did like the young female officer that joined the force and Gently was mentoring - I wish they had given her a larger role and had let Bacchus dwindle to the side (or leave entirely).

(Spoiler) In the end Bacchus turned on Gently anyway, all the work Gently did to make him a good Inspector came to naught. The man just didn't have it in him, he was too flawed at his core. George never stopped trying though.

I am going to speak for Deedee, because it is coming :), she hated (hated) the ending, it was like putting a stake in her heart.

6 days ago
theprisoner6
Employee

Wow! Both my wife and I concur with you, brit, on all your assessments of George Gently. Had the DVDs and sold them on to someone else. Liked him but hated Bacchus.

6 days ago
deedee713
guru

Well spoken for me, Brit. I did indeed find it completely unnecessary, much like Bacchus as a partner.

Why would Gently not ask for a replacement, I always wondered?

5 days ago

I think Deedee, because Gently innately knew that Bacchus would be a bad cop, in the sense of a cop that stood on the wrong side of the tracks, if he didn't intercede and try to instill a sense of a moral code (of the profession) in him. Bacchus' first instinct was always the wrong one - if he had to choose between taking the moral ground and going for the basest choice, the lower one was always his first choice.

So, in my mind, Gently never gave up because of this. In the end it was a lost cause, Bacchus never changed and many of us that loved the Gently character wish the writers had made him walk away from him and move on with his life. A perfect opportunity was there with the young female policewoman, but they stayed with the original premise and let Gently take it to his end.

5 days ago

[b]

Soler[/b], how did you do with the subtitles this episode of "Atlantic Crossing"? I noticed that they were moving quickly in the beginning, but seemed to slow down after that. Since most of the action took place in Sweden/Denmark it was still more than 50% titled - that should change next episode once their in America.

3 days ago

[b]

Soler[/b], how did you do with the subtitles this episode of "Atlantic Crossing"? I noticed that they were moving quickly in the beginning, but seemed to slow down after that. Since most of the action took place in Sweden/Denmark it was still more than 50% titled - that should change next episode once their in America.

3 days ago

Sorry, it doubled posted, I don't know how that happened. I had a problem logging in, things are a little wonky today.

3 days ago
soler
expert

Gremlins Brit .... there at it again. lol Funny , as I was watching this ep. I was saying to myself ..... " Gettin' tired of this .... toooooo much subbing going on here " . but then I realized it has to be done as there still in that part of the world , they have to build up the terrible predicament she is in staying ahead of the Nazi . She is realizing she is not wanted in Sweden as this might provoke the Nazi who will blame Sweden for harbouring her . This all comes to a head when her brother ( I think ) gives her those cyanide capsules . Making it to the U.S. ship and holding up her child to the fisherman as an act of defiance against the Nazi ........ Roosevelt sending that ship was her life line. Good ep. and starting next week LESS ( or no ) subbing I hope lol

On my PBS , after Atlantic , there running World on Fire S1 ...... a repeat , but I am enjoying it thoroughly . Lesley Manville as the icy, bitchy mom ( waiting to see if she warms up to Jan )and Sean Bean as a pacifist ( again waiting to see if his pacifism ends when the bombs start falling on London ) I find this show a real treat with a good story flow .... not to mention the predicament Harry is in with two women hope S2 runs in the fall , here's hopin' with fingers crossed.

2 days ago

Soler, I was surprised that the Swedish King was a Nazi sympathizer, I did not know this. Apparently his wife had ties to Germany and it is through her that this came to be. The icy chill of hearing "my friend Hitler" coming out of someone's mouth. It gave me chills to hear it all these years later. The Crown Princess and her children would definitely been used as pawns by Hitler to get the the Crown Prince and the King back to Denmark where they all would have perished at his hands. The Swedish king was sending them to their death... couldn't trust anyone at that time, even family.

I had to smile at Roosevelt's response when they were talking about how to get the Crown Princess to America. It was an American response through and through.... made me proud I have to say. Put them on the ship, hiding them out in the open (they always say if you need to hide that is how to do it) and make sure the American Flag is blazing all over the sides so that everyone could see it is us. God Bless us, we do have chutzpah in the best sense of the word.

18 hours ago

Deedee, I have a suggestion for you, The Cliff , S1... it is currently on Prime TV only till the end of the month. It is a Walter's Present series from PBS so if you still have PBS Passport you may be able to see it there as well. It takes place in rural Iceland and although simple in the premise of the story, I am finding it intriguing enough to go to the end. There are only four episodes, so this is not a big commitment. I watched two episodes last night, so far no animals have been hurt and I am not expecting it to go in that direction.

18 hours ago
deedee713
guru

Thanks, Brit. I saw and enjoyed it. The least sharp knife in the box cop annoyed me, but hey, it's small town policing.

Thankfully, no dead animals!

I liked that the Cliff had a soul. Wish we had some nature in the U.S. that could fight back against humans.

Currently picking up again on Sneaky Pete, on Amazon Prime. Not sure why I abandoned it, but it seems pretty good.

Anybody liking Ralf Little in Death in Paradise? He was enjoyable in The Cafe, I'm not liking him here. I miss Ardal O'Hanlon.

2 hours ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.