60 min.
Country
USA
Network
HBO TV Network

Top Contributors

Game of Thrones tv show photo

Game of Thrones

In the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, where summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime, the Great Houses (Stark, Baratheon, Targaryen, Lannister, Greyjoy, Arryn, Martell, Tully and Tyrell) fight among themselves for a right to rule the Iron Throne. Beyond the Wall and across the Narrow Sea bigger threats are rising until its a right moment to take a revenge. Based on R.R. Martin's novels.

Message Board

Ask New Question
« Back to discussion list
thor
Game Of Thrones

7 noble families fight for control of the land of Westeros. Political and sexual intrigue abound. The primary families are the Stark, Lannister, and Baratheon families. The King of Westeros asks old friend Eddard Stark to be his chief advisor. More than one family is plotting to take the throne. The Lannisters may be hatching a plot to take control. The Targaryens are plotting a return to power.

The show is based on author George R. R. Martin's best-selling A Song of Ice and Fire series of novels.

9 years ago
Comments
romeo53
guru

9 years ago
starbuck13
guru

I read that book last year and couldn't believe when I heard that series iz coming.I was so happy,and I think they choose great actors.And it will be interesting to see Lena Headey as evil Cersei Baratheon

9 years ago
blank27
pro

New trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7JYw5kQg_Y&feature=player_embedded

Also HBO aired a special with loads of clips, cast interviews, behind the scenes footage, etc. Its available @ most any torrent site.

9 years ago
newlinux
guru

I'm definitely going to give this one a shot.

9 years ago
blank27
pro

Another new teaser. Sooooooooo excited. Just started listening to the audiobooks again to be all prepared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ5p18wIQEI&feature=player_embedded

9 years ago
jaaa

The series will debut on April 17, 2011.

9 years ago
romeo53
guru

HBO is steadily ramping up the excitement for its epic fantasy series "Game of Thrones" and will air a sneak peek of the first 15 minutes of Episode 1 on April 3 at 9 p.m. ET.

Based on author George R.R. Martin's acclaimed "A Song of Ice and Fire" novels, the series -- spearheaded by David Benioff ("Troy," "The Kite Runner") and D.B. Weiss -- debuts April 17 and will feature 10 episodes.

Meanwhile, "A Dance With Dragons," Martin's highly anticipated fifth book in the saga is now poised to hit stores. Long delayed, the novel will be published by Bantam Books on July 12.

"Yes, I know. You've all seen publication dates before: dates in 2007, 2008, 2009," Martin said in a recent LiveJournal post. "None of those were ever hard dates, however. Most of them ... well, call it wishful thinking, boundless optimism, cockeyed dreams, honest mistakes, whatever you like.

"This date is different. This date is real."

Taking an ambitious and unique approach to fantasy, HBO's "Game of Thrones" chronicles a treacherous clash among royal families to secure ultimate power of the vast lands of Westeros. Magic takes a backseat in the series; tragedy, deadly political intrigues and engaging character studies are Martin's palate of choice. His characters endure hard lives that are often violent and shockingly short.

Some of the key members of the show's large ensemble cast include Sean Bean ("The Lord of the Rings") as Eddard "Ned" Stark; Lena Headey ("Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles," "300"), as queen Cersei Lannister; Peter Dinklage ("Threshold") as her cunning dwarf brother Tyrion; Nikolaj Coster-Waldau ("New Amsterdam") as Cersei's twin, Jaime; Emilia Clarke as the exiled queen Daenerys Targaryen; Jennifer Ehle as Catelyn Stark; Jason Momoa ("Stargate: Atlantis") as Khal Drogo.

The novel "A Game of Thrones" quickly won readers over when it hit the shelves in 1996. It captured the 1997 Locus Award and received nominations for both the 1997 World Fantasy Award and the 1998 Nebula Award. More awards followed for subsequent books in the series. Seven novels are planned, with the fourth volume, "A Feast For Crows," being the latest.

9 years ago
blank27
pro

3 cheers for the new trailer, and 3 cheers for the book release date!!!!

9 years ago

cant wait till it airs looks really good

9 years ago
jmiker
guru

Looking forward to it as well.

9 years ago
romeo53
guru

How George R.R. Martin was won over by Games of Thrones miniseries

Usually when Hollywood gets its mitts on an epic sci-fi novel saga like George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, that's enough for its readers to break out into a cold sweat fretting about how the books are going to get adapted from page to screen.

However, in the case of Game of Thrones (the title of the first book in Martin's series, which also serves as the name of the television series based on Ice and Fire) the worry was quickly abated with just a few potent words: HBO, 10-hour series, Sean Bean. And George R.R. Martin's listed as a series producer and episode writer.

With Game of Thrones set to premiere on April 17, the excitement from Martin's fans and general sci-fi aficionados alike has been ramping up with each new teaser trailer and one-sheet image revealed, but Martin's seal of approval has been the most compelling enticement of all.

In an exclusive interview, Martin says while he initially had "mixed feelings" about A Song of Ice and Fire being adapted into any visual medium, it was the passion and reverence for the mythology by executive producers David Benioff and Dan Weiss that finally persuaded him it was the right path.

"Yes, there are changes and compromises, but they are minimal," Martin asserts. "I do very much have the sense that David and Dan, and the other people at HBO, are trying to take my story and bring it to the screen, which, you know, is not always the case. In some cases they purchase a book and people they bring in change everything."

If anything, Martin says he's amazed that the budget-busting world of Westeros, the fictional land where the saga is set, is being brought to life so richly. The author laughs, "All the problems I created for them with my casts of thousands and giant battles and huge set pieces that are the set pieces of fantasy are their problems to realize it."

Citing how much visual effects have changed television production since his days writing episodes of the rebooted Twilight Zone and Beauty and the Beast, Martin admits, "It's a whole new world. I haven't seen any complete Thrones episodes yet, but I know they have some great special effects people working on this, and I'm hoping it looks fantastic."

As for behind the scenes, Martin confirms he's been part of the show's development since he sat down to lunch with Benioff and Weiss in Los Angeles more than a year ago. "Hopefully I've added something to the process, but it's very much their show," he adds.

Asked what he's most excited for fans to see, Martin says the terrific cast is really a sight to behold. "When we started talking about this before it was even greenlit, Sean Bean was always our first choice for Eddard 'Ned' Stark and Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. Those were the two characters that we knew we had to get [those actors], and we were delighted when we got both for the parts. Some of the other actors I hadn't heard of, but I've been watching their tapes and have seen some of their work and mostly have been blown away by the performances that I've seen. But one of the biggest triumphs is the three kids we got. Maisie Williams [as Arya Star], Sophie Turner [as Sansa Stark] and Isaac Hempstead-Wright [as Bran Stark] are just amazing talents. It was very hard, and we looked at hundreds of kids," the author says of the audition process. "The truth is that it's hard to find good kid actors. Mostly kids are used in sitcoms, which means they are good at being cute, but these are serious dramatic roles for children. They have to do grief and fear and capture three very distinct characters. We really lucked out, and Nina Gold, our casting director, deserves all kinds of credit for finding them, because these kids had hardly done anything before."

As for his scripting in the series, Martin confirms he's penned episode eight. "David and Dan did the initial breakdown and decided what would be in each episode. We then discussed which episode I would write, and I settled on episode eight. I was a little trepidatious when I began writing it, because it had been a decade since I had written a screenplay, but I remembered how ... like riding a bicycle, or sex," he laughs.

Teasing what fans can expect from his episode, Martin sighs, "Well, as usual I put in a montage that would have cost 10 times the budget of the entire episode. I wanted all the Lords Bannerman of the North assembling and going to eight different castles, with the Lords arming up and riding out. It read beautifully, but to produce it would have bankrupted them, so I knew writing it my poor montage would be done. I always write my first draft for me to be read, and then later I make the cuts for the more producible cut." However, he promises plenty of other tasty material still remains.

Game of Thrones premieres Sunday, April 17, on HBO.

9 years ago
jaaa

Only few more hours until premiere! I'm so excited!

9 years ago
romeo53
guru

yeah looking forward to watching this just downloaded it

9 years ago
dobrivoje
pro

All I have to say is: Wow!

9 years ago
romeo53
guru

yeah i agree the best start to a show in a long time

9 years ago
starbuck13
guru

It was just perfect

9 years ago
newlinux
guru

Good stuff.

9 years ago
thor

Loved it, already wanting more.

9 years ago
romeo53
guru

Winter will keep coming: Game of Thrones renewed for 2nd season

Hoping it might have another True Blood-sized hit on its hands, HBO has renewed the George R.R. Martin fantasy series Game of Thrones for a second season two days after the series premiered to an audience of 2.2 million viewers. And with two additional viewings, the new series scored a total of 4.2 million viewers.

"We are delighted by the way David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have brought George R.R. Martin's amazing book series to the screen, and thrilled by the support of the media and our viewers," HBO Programming president Michael Lombardo said in a press release. "This is the continuation of an exciting creative partnership."

While HBO's Boardwalk Empire premiered last fall to 4.8 million viewers, Game of Thrones has been getting great reviews, and it wasn't all that long ago (okay, it was three years) that True Blood premiered with 1.44 million viewers before becoming a monster hit for them. Add into the mix that HBO is already earning more than $2.5 million per episode overseas, and you can almost understand why the pay cable channel forked out $50 million to create this series and why they are ready to give it a very early second-season pickup.

Here's the HBO press release that was released today:

HBO RENEWS "GAME OF THRONES" FOR SECOND SEASON
LOS ANGELES, April 19, 2011 - Following strong critical and viewer response to the series' April 17 debut, HBO has renewed GAME OF THRONES for a second season, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming.

"We are delighted by the way David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have brought George R.R. Martin's amazing book series to the screen, and thrilled by the support of the media and our viewers," said Lombardo. "This is the continuation of an exciting creative partnership."

Based on the bestselling fantasy book series "A Song of Ice and Fire," by George R.R. Martin, GAME OF THRONES follows kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars and noblemen as they vie for power in a land where summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime.

Among the early critical raves, TV Guide has called the show "a crowning triumph" and "brilliant," while the Los Angeles Times termed GAME OF THRONES "a great and thundering series," as well as "wild and bewitching." The Hollywood Reporter praised the "excellent storytelling, superb acting and stunning visual effects," and the New York Post observed that the "art directing, acting and incredible sets are as breathtaking as the massive scope of the series."

The gross audience for the premiere night of GAME OF THRONES on the main HBO channel was 4.2 million viewers.

The season one cast includes (in alphabetical order): Mark Addy, Alfie Allen, Sean Bean, Emilia Clarke, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Michelle Fairley, Aidan Gillen, Jack Gleeson, Iain Glen, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Isaac Hempstead-Wright, Harry Lloyd, Richard Madden, Rory McCann, Jason Momoa, Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams.

Season one credits: GAME OF THRONES is executive produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss; co-executive producers, Carolyn Strauss, Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis, Ralph Vicinanza and George R.R. Martin; producers, Mark Huffam and Frank Doelger; directors of photography, Marco Pontecorvo, Alik Sakharov and Matt Jensen; production designer, Gemma Jackson; costume designer, Michele Clapton.

9 years ago
jmiker
guru

Wow a second season already? I am happy to hear it, this type of show is one of my favorite generes.

9 years ago
dobrivoje
pro

Second season! I'm very happy!
Thrones will be a big hit!

9 years ago
kr0n055

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

9 years ago
romeo53
guru

just keep's on getting better

9 years ago
jaaa

I agree, Sunday is now my favorite day of the week :)

9 years ago
shade169
guru

my favorite show running now

9 years ago
bernowald
expert

really like it. i find the introduction intriguing :)

I've read the books (patiently waiting for the 5th :) ) and am enjoying the addaption

9 years ago
newlinux
guru

yep great show. Keeps getting better so far.

9 years ago

to tell the truth, i was quit disappointed with this show. maybe its because the trailer was so great and that made me higher my expectations.

9 years ago
chriss1022
regular

love the show..just started the book series...addicted!

9 years ago
newlinux
guru

Last episode moved a little slow for me.

9 years ago
dobrivoje
pro

Yea, maybe a little slower than previous episodes, but Daenerys and 'The Wall' parts of the story were very exciting!

9 years ago
dobrivoje
pro

Emilia Clarke is very beautiful and looks 25 years old, but she is acting the roll of a 13 year old (I think thats real Daenerys age).

I'm very glad that HBO changed that, 13 old girl wouldn't look good in this part.

9 years ago
katel
guru

The last episode was slow and a little off too.

9 years ago
jayp23
guru

it's all moved a little slow for me, the acting is amazing, the sheer scale of it is breathtaking but the dialogue is often jam packed full of useless filler and as someone with no knowledge of the books I have a really hard time following the characters, remembering their names or understanding what they're really talking about.

Whilst the basic plot is simple they have introduced 30 or 40 main characters in a very short space of time and they don't stand out enough for me to feel I can relate to them however well they are portrayed.

If it wasn't for my sheer love of anything Sean Bean i would of given up on episode 3.

9 years ago
newlinux
guru

the last episode teased of goodness :)

9 years ago
dobrivoje
pro

I know!
Not sure how will I survive then this season ends and I have to wait almost 6 months for next episode.

9 years ago
harryheck
expert

Ususally I find the negativ with tv stuff adapted from books I love. The only thing missing from this show is more Gohst.

9 years ago
katel
guru

What does everyone think of this show? Is it a keeper? I know it has a season 2 already in the works, but I wonder how much further it will go.
I think it became weak and a little too graphic in parts. How do they get away with scenes like the child of about 10 on the woman's breast and not bring child welfare racing in?

My future forecast say it will be axed. Though all the shows I thought weren't going to axed like 'Legend of the seeker' and 'No ordinary family' were axed. The best shows!

In my country there is very little chance 'game of thrones' would be seen. It has too many scenes that would need censoring.

In saying that I like the show just some scenes make me cringe.

8 years ago
newlinux
guru

I like it. It has grown on me. In comparison camelot has not.

8 years ago

So far this is the best Show next to Dexter that I have seen on a Movie Channel. You never know what is going to happen next. And I love the White walkers that is one of the things I like the most.

8 years ago
jaaa

@harryheck

http://sharetv.org/shows/game_of_thrones/cast/ghost

8 years ago
gvizbi
regular

Last episode was amazing! I didn't expect such a turn of events this soon. Madness!

8 years ago
katel
guru

Do you think he was really killed? He is a main character! He is one of the best.

8 years ago
jaaa

Yes, unfortunately he is.

Very intense episode.

8 years ago

wow, and I thought the last episode was good.

I think Joffrey just made sure the Stark's will wipe out his whole family. At least himself, his mother, his father the one he does not know about, and his siblings.

It was kinda ironic what hapened to Khal Drogo.

8 years ago
newlinux
guru

Can't wait for the next episode...

8 years ago

I can't wait either. It seems the Imp is more impresive than his brother Jamie. At least he can talk his way out of anything. And seems to inspire loyalty to mercanaries.

8 years ago
romeo53
guru

Game of Thrones returns to Belfast

American studio giant HBO has confirmed it will be returning to Belfast to shoot the second series of popular medieval drama Game Of Thrones.

Executives in Los Angeles confirmed the decision to film another season in the Paint Hall studios in the city's docklands and at other locations across Northern Ireland.

The launch of the fantasy action series starring Sean Bean has proved popular with HBO viewers in America and on Sky Atlantic in the UK.

The production, which is based on the best-selling books of George RR Martin, provided a significant economic boost to the local arts scene and sustained hundreds of on-set jobs.

Filming on the second series is due to begin at the end of July.

Stormont First Minister Peter Robinson and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness welcomed the fresh commitment from HBO.

"The return of HBO to Northern Ireland is a huge endorsement of our local creative industries," said Mr Robinson.

"HBO's first visit to Belfast in 2009 was a tremendous boost for the city and for Northern Ireland's economy as a whole."

Mr McGuinness said: "HBO's commitment to return to Belfast will lead to the creation of more jobs and generate considerable income for our local economy.

"We are determined to place the creative industries at the very heart of our efforts to grow the local economy and we will continue to do all that we can to convince companies such as HBO that this is the place to come."

8 years ago
jaaa

I would love to go Ireland and see the set!

8 years ago

I would too.
Romeo thanks for the info on the future of the show.
It is alawys good to know there is gonna be another season.

8 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.