60 min.
Country
USA
Network
FOX TV Network

Top Contributors

Dollhouse tv show photo

Dollhouse

This series revolves around a group of men and women who can be neurally imprinted with "personality packages". Sheltered in a secret futuristic dormitory/laboratory named the "Dollhouse," these individuals are imprinted with customized personas for performing any of a wide variety of assignments, which can be romantic, adventurous, or illegal...

Message Board

Ask New Question
« Back to discussion list
uncertaingod
expert
Dollhouse

I think this is the only show I have been obsessed about before it has even begun shooting but there is something about this dollhouse idea and I do confess to completely idolising Eliza Dushku as well as great reverence for anything Joss Whedon is upto so this is a sort of dream ticket for me.

So what's it about?

"Echo (Eliza Dushku) is a young woman who is literally everybody's fantasy. She is one of a group of men and women who can be imprinted with personality packages, including memories, skills, language—even muscle memory—for different assignments. The assignments can be romantic, adventurous, outlandish, uplifting, sexual and/or very illegal. When not imprinted with a personality package, Echo and the others are basically mind-wiped, living like children in a futuristic dorm/lab dubbed the Dollhouse, with no memory of their assignments—or of much else. The show revolves around the childlike Echo's burgeoning self-awareness, and her desire to know who she was before, a desire that begins to seep into her various imprinted personalities and puts her in danger both in the field and in the closely monitored confines of the Dollhouse."

Who is in it?

Eliza Dushku as Echo - The lead character and a doll who is becoming self-aware despite the blanking proccess, though she must keep this hidden both in the dollhouse and out on assignment.

Olivia Williams as Adelle DeWitt -
Beautiful, sophisticated, cold as an alp. Runs the Dollhouse with an efficiency that is both ruthless and protective. Would die before she showed anyone how lonely she is. Series Regular.

Tahmoh Penikett as Paul Smith -
Good-looks hardened by a cynical distaste for most of humanity. An FBI field agent, he's been chasing the urban myth of the "Dollhouse" long enough to have lost any shot at promotion. Becomes obsessed with, and twisted romantic foil for, Echo. Series Regular.

Fran Kranz as Topher Brink
Genius programmer who's articulate, nerdily attractive and blithely amoral. He's responsible for imprinting the dolls - and making sure they stay unaware of anything. Is fascinated by the science and kind of digging the illegality. Fun to be around, but might not be remotely trustworthy. Series Regular.

Dichen Lachman as Sierra
Strikingly beautiful. A Doll like Echo, she has every personality in the world but her own. Is not as self-aware as Echo, but is instinctively drawn to her as a friend. Series Regular.

Enver Gjokaj as Victor
Handsome and fit. A Doll, and the other closest thing to a friend Echo has. Childlike when he's inactive, and everything from Errol Flynn to (young) DeNiro when he's active. Series Regular.

Amy Acker as Dr. Claire Saunders
Smart and a little sad. Looks after the physical well-being of the dolls. Has an acid wit that she usually reserves for Topher, who may only be kidding about being smitten with her. (Or he may not). Recurring.

Miracle Laurie as November
Beautiful and heavy. Another Doll, a hopeful child in the house and everyone else you need her to be outside. A comforting, radiant presence, who tends to get fewer of the criminal gigs and more of the personal ones. Recurring.

Harry J. Lennix as Boyd Langton
Gruff, about to make the descent from 'good-looking' to 'fatherly'. An ex-cop, Boyd is Echo's 'handler' - her guard/bodyguard. Hates himself for taking this job, bu he'd lay down his life to protect the people he feels he's exploiting. Series Regular.

What stage is it at?

Well now that casting is complete and the pilot episode has been written (called simply "Echo" in which Eliza will have to pull of five completely unique identities) shooting will start shortly on the seven episode run for the autumn season.

12 years ago
Comments
blkhole
expert

Summer Glau the new Dr Strangelove complete with glove!

10 years ago
uncertaingod
expert

It was a stunning performance by her, and everyone really in these two episodes, especially Enver & Fran once again. Enver NAILED how to play that part and the end with both of them in the same room was superb.

10 years ago
katel
guru

Eliza is a fantastic actor. I wouldn't begin to guess who would have done a better job. I loved her in 'Tru Calling' Another good one that was axed. Actually I preferred tru calling to dollhouse.

10 years ago
uncertaingod
expert

Tru Calling was one of the worst shows of all time, and being beautiful isn't the same as having the ability to act. It is strange though how the two people who made this show happen, Eliza & Joss are the two things that are the worst parts of it. The episodes that rock are the ones not written by Joss with as little of Eliza in as possible.

10 years ago

she was great in buffy and not bad in dollhouse

10 years ago
uncertaingod
expert

True, but the character in buffy was just her being her, she failed in Dollhouse because it was one of the most challenging roles on TV, and she looks even worse because the relative unknowns around her aced it.

10 years ago
katel
guru

Did someone say beautiful equaled a good actor? I certainly didn't. Actually I don't recall mentioning her looks. I think she is great in dollhouse, even though I could take it or leave it. Tru calling was better.

10 years ago
tash845
guru

Another one bites the dust

10 years ago
uncertaingod
expert

This weeks Dollhouse double bill was great, and also the first time in the history of the show that Eliza Dushku gave a good performance.

10 years ago
thor

It is such a shame they cancelled Dollhouse before it reached it's prime. Two of the best episodes to date. Fantastic story, fantastic performances and lots more to look forward to. I can't wait to see how it all ends.

10 years ago
uncertaingod
expert

Episode 10 of Dollhouse was superb, why couldn't every episode of this show have been written by Mo Tancharoen for she rocks a big fat one.

10 years ago
katel
guru

The last few episodes have been great.

10 years ago
thor

A real humdinger.

I knew she would be on board. Three weeks to the next one"sigh"...

10 years ago
katel
guru

So, Echo and the woman boss are working together?

10 years ago
blkhole
expert

Not since Star Wars, Electric Sheep and FireFly have I seen such brillant Sci Fi writing and twisting. Just episode 10 deserves an award for tieing the whole two seasons together into a totally understandable story. Now Epitaph makes total sense.
Excellent story bring on the last three episodes and screw FOX.

10 years ago
thor

@blkhole

Well said.

10 years ago

The last episode was wicked. Well worth a Friday night.

10 years ago
thor

SPOILER

The Dollhouse finale, titled 'Epitaph 2: The Return', follows on from the events in the season one finale and sees Echo and her surviving Dollhouse crew attempt to restore order to a devastating future before mankind is eliminated.

10 years ago
thor

Ok, what the hell is going on?

10 years ago
uncertaingod
expert

Where the hell did my post go?

10 years ago

Last night was good. Getting closer to the end. Wow who saw that coming?

10 years ago
tash845
guru

Shame that just when the show gets really good -- poof! It goes
bub bye. And I was really enjoying it!

10 years ago

typical fox

10 years ago
uncertaingod
expert

Ok, that was superb. I'm immensely impressed what Team Whedon has managed to pull out of the bag to tie this story up and can't wait for Epitaph Two in 2 weeks time.

10 years ago
katel
guru

So we are nearing the end of this show then? Pity, it's hotting up.

10 years ago
blkhole
expert

How do you follow that up?

10 years ago
uncertaingod
expert

A great end to the show if a little 'typically whedon'

I want this show remade in 5 years or so and for Joss to have nothing to do with it, although I would like Maurissa Tancharoen to be heavily involved, perhaps run it and sod it lets cast Felicia Day as Echo, provided she is ready to train hard for the role.

10 years ago

i was disappointed to no end I found it very choppy no flow to it tried to cram to much into an 1 show
should have been at least 2hrs
there was no expansion of the villains no expansion of how the got to where there were. It seemed fox just wanted it over. All in all it could have been much better

10 years ago
softwizz
guru

@capt - you have to make allowances for the fact that Fox killed the show mid-narrative, and there wasn't much room for manouevre in bringing things to a close. I guess 2x13 was trying to cover the ground that season 3 would have covered. I felt that I did get some closure anyway.

Anyone who - like me - felt in tune with Echo's final act would probably enjoy "The Host" by Stephanie Meyer - it has a lot to say about interactions between entities inhabiting the same body.

10 years ago
blkhole
expert

@Capt you have to go back and watch last years 13th episode it will give you a few lead ins.

10 years ago
blkhole
expert

Story line reminiscent of Robert Heinleins "I Will Fear No Evil"

10 years ago
katel
guru

At least it had some closure, unlike Kyle XY and other shows they cut off and left us all hanging. Grrr

10 years ago

I loved the finale. It was perfect.

10 years ago
blkhole
expert

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

10 years ago
blkhole
expert

we want a movie!!!!! we want a movie!!!!!! (in capitals)

10 years ago
uncertaingod
expert

No we don't, the story is over.

Best we can hope for is that someone has the balls to remake the story in a few year without Whedon's (lack of) writing skill.

10 years ago
blkhole
expert

Stories over but no explaination of how Alpha became the good guy??

10 years ago
softwizz
guru

From the earlier episodes, Alpha obviously wanted to destroy the Dollhouse - which in his case meant first and foremost the dollhouse in which he had been an Active. I don't see that aim being inconsistent with what we saw him doing in 2x13. Rather, the main players that we saw in 2x13 - all of them opposed to Rossum in one way or another - included several who would have been Alpha's main adversaries in the earlier episodes. It is they, rather than Alpha, who have changed.

10 years ago
edwardyo
pro

It was mentioned about how Alpha was more in control now, thats why he left before the brain bomb went off, he wasn't sure what was going to happen to him, would he reset to a psycho or not. He went away just in case.

10 years ago
doronsky
guru

i loved this show it had a lot going for it , they should have had a season with a war between the dollhouses

9 years ago

Yes, they should have.

9 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.