In this new drama based on DC Comics, time-traveling rogue Rip Hunter gathers a team of heroes and villains to battle a threat who is capable of destroying time itself: The Atom, Dr. Martin Stein, Captain Cold, Heat Wave, White Canary, Jay Jackson, and Hawkgirl.
Professor Martin Stein (born March 16, 1950) is a physicist who was the team leader for the F.I.R.E.S.T.O.R.M. project. He co-wrote a paper on it with Jason Rusch. After the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator exploded he became one half of the transmuted and conjoined meta-human Firestorm alongside Ronnie Raymond. Firestorm was resurrected with Jefferson Jackson as the second half after Ronnie's death. In early 2016, Martin Stein was recruited by the rogue time-traveler Rip Hunter on a mission to take down Vandal Savage.
Martin is a pacifist, having protested in the Vietnam War. He also hated pizza before merging with Ronnie. After merging he picked up some of Ronnie's characteristics, such as obsession with pizza. Martin is also shown to have a childish and laid back personality. One example was when he stated he was "game" if Ronnie was also willing to try to separate. He is also shown to have a sense of humor, telling Ronnie they should not fight on their wedding day shortly before officiating Caitlin and Ronnie's marriage. He also believed that any relationship should be prioritized above everything else.
In January 2016, Jefferson Jackson and Stein were still in Pittsburgh, where they were up against a criminal at a chemical plant as Firestorm. Stein told Jax to be careful, as 83% of the chemicals were flammable. Jax however still shot fireballs all over the place. While Firestorm defeated the man, Stein was still upset that Jax doesn't listen to him. Jax told him to stop treating him like one of his "snot nosed undergrads" when they were intercepted by Rip Hunter. Martin and the rest of Rip Hunter's recruits woke up on top of a building where Rip informed them of the impending threat of Vandal Savage’s conquest of the world and a chance to join him. Later, Martin and Jax discussed Rip’s offer where Jax was firmly against it while Stein relished the opportunity.
** Meta-human physiology: After Professor Stein was struck by the energy of the Particle Accelerator explosion, this altered his DNA and supercharged his cells, augmenting his physiology into well-beyond peak human condition.
*** Firestorm Matrix: When Jax merges with Professor Stein, the two create the nuclear-powered composite being Firestorm. The F.I.R.E.S.T.O.R.M. Matrix are controlled by two individuals, or “halves”; when they achieve physical contact, the Matrix takes over their biology and merges them into a singular being. When the two halves of Firestorm merge, the Matrix has them take on the form of the individual that has the stronger body. If bereft of another half, Stein will still exhibit some of Firestorm powers, but only for a short time, as a symptom of approaching death.
* Energy absorption: Firestorm has shown the ability to not only generate nuclear power, but also contain the energy coming from outside sources by absorbing its output. He has done so, for example, when he absorbed the blast from Vandal Savage’s nuclear warhead and also when he short-circuited the Pentagon's alarms. As shown by Martin, while separated, he is still able to passively absorb energy, albeit on a smaller scale and with a greater strain for himself. It appears that it takes a great deal of time and concentration to trigger the absorption of energy unless but under great deals of stress, as shown as when he was unable to absorb a blast of the Flash's lightning when it was launched at him.
* Matter transmutation: While fighting Nazis in 1944, Jax and Martin discovered that their nuclear powers can manipulate matter at an atomic level and arrange its subatomic structure so that it becomes a different substance altogether. Firestorm first used this by turning a rifle into dust by simply grabbing it. When the two minds focused, Firestorm was later able to transform a radioactive meteorite into water.
* Nucleokinesis: Firestorm is virtually a living reactor, and as such, creates great amounts of nuclear energy via the numerous atomic reactions constantly occurring in his body. That and his mental capacity to process both fission and fusion, allow him to harness the energy emitting from his either his own body or any source of energy that’s near.
* Psychic link: Jefferson can hear Martin Stein's disembodied voice while the two of them are merged into Firestorm. Even when they are separated, their link allows them limited communication of sensations or emotions. This link can be so strong that if Stein wanted to prevent whoever he merged with from attacking, he can restrain the nuclear energy from being shot out.
* Pyrokinesis: Due to the unique nature of the transmutation between the two bodies, Firestorm is able to produce nuclear energy in the form of fire from parts of his body. He can use his control over the energy to project it willingly in the form of concussive blasts. These "nuclear blasts" are often shown to be quite powerful and have shown to be able to knock unarmed humans out unconscious and are hot enough to burn through solid structures and even cause harm to meta-humans. Stein has exhibited some pyrokinetic ability even without another half to join with him, though it was a sign of approaching death.
* Flight: Firestorm has so far seen to have at least two methods to achieve flight. The first and most common is when he uses fires nuclear blasts downward at a consistent rate, thereby generating enough force to defy gravity and allow for stable propulsion. This flight style is his preferred and most practiced choice. The second method is unclear, as he is shown to be able to fly at impressive speeds without the need of his blasts. He displayed this ability when he attempted to disarm Vandal Savage's missile. How he achieved this skill or how he even does it is unclear.
* Genius-level intellect: From a young age, Martin showed exceptional intellect as skipped from 10th grade all the way to college and by age 25, he had two PhDs as well as nearing a third, plus was a leading expert in a field of study. Martin's profound knowledge of the quantum physics is shown by the many awards he won; not only is he good at theorizing, his project, F.I.R.E.S.T.O.R.M., has put into practice that which has yet to be successfully done by mankind. He is also especially interested in the concept of time travel and has several ideas on this topic alone.
* Eidetic memory: Given his extraordinary level of knowledge and understanding of physics, Martin most likely possesses an eidetic or photographic memory, which allows him to process and utilize his vast intelligence effectively. An eidetic memory would be necessary in the usage of Morse code without a code book to create a message in an emergency situation. Yet, despite this, he seems to have forgotten who Eobard Thawne is.
* Sharpened mind: When they first successfully fused into Firestorm, Martin was able to detect enemy presence behind them before Ronnie could.
* Hand-to-Hand combatant: Martin has proven himself to be a skilled fighter to an unknown degree. This is evidenced when he managed to fight, defeat, and disarm an armed time pirate.
* Indomitable will/Tolerance for pain: After getting captured by General Eiling, he was tortured in order to get the secrets of Firestorm, so they could weaponize it. However he resisted (something even Eiling was surprised by) without saying a word. He endured a similar treatment when he was captured by Valentina Vostok and Vandal Savage in 1986, only giving in when they threatened Ray Palmer and Mick Rory rather than himself.
* Multilingual: Martin is capable of fluently speaking English, Hebrew and German.
* Rabbinical knowledge: Having attended a seminary or a Jewish theological college, Martin has become a fully legitimate Rabbi, and as such, he is able to read in Hebrew and is licensed to pronounce marriage.
* Singing: When masquerading as Max Lorenz in 1942, Martin proved to be an exquisite singer, able to impress fans of the actual Lorenz.
* Skilled in using Morse code: Martin is familiar enough and able to construct Morse code messages without having to look it up.
* Ionized radiation: The Firestorm Matrix can be destabilized by bombarding its cellular structure with ionized radiation, temporarily disabling Firestorm's powers. Though it will not separate Ronnie and Martin it will cancel Firestorm's powers for a small amount of time.
* Prolonged separation: Martin's exposure to the dark matter explosion left his body unstable at a cellular level. Over time, Martin's body will continue to weaken from the build up until eventually killing him. Only by periodically merging with another meta-human of compatible nature will restore his health and stabilize him while separated until the next needed merger.
Dr. Martin Stein/Firestorm Photos
|Previous: Mick Rory/Heat Wave|