CSI: Crime Scene Investigation took television by storm in 2000 with its innovative and cutting-edge updating of a standard series concept – in this case, the cop show. That gritty approach to crime known as forensic science made its way from Las Vegas to the streets of Florida in CSI: Miami.
Skills and Abilities
Ryan has a strong background in science, having majored in chemistry at Boston College and now pursuing a master's degree in genetics.
His studies take a back seat to his job; he graduated top of his class at the police academy.
Ryan was working as a police officer at the time he was hired by Horatio Caine.
When he first joins the lab, Wolfe has a difficult time with his co-workers. Calleigh Duquesne is concerned initially because Wolfe's first case is a possible vehicular homicide involving her alcoholic father, lawyer Kendall "Duke" Duquesne.
Medical examiner Alexx Woods resents his coming on board at first, telling him at one point that she "[doesn't] need any new friends." He grows on her, however, and the two eventually become close. Woods becomes something of a maternal figure to the much younger Ryan.
Eric Delko, who had been close to Speedle, is still angry over his friend's murder, and often acts as though he resents Wolfe as an interloper. The two seem to have put their differences aside for the most part, as they are often seen working together at crime scenes, though Delko occasionally seems to enjoy exercising his seniority by sending Wolfe to do the dirtier work. (As the lowest ranking CSI, Wolfe usually ends up processing the grisliest evidence, including acid-dissolved cadavers ("Dissolved") and a headless body ("High Octane").
Ryan is attracted to fellow CSI Natalia Boa Vista . The two dated briefly (episode Dead Air), but ultimately decided to keep their relationship professional. Boa Vista was obviously still interested in a jealous Eric Delko, who shuns their relationship in favor of Calleigh Duquesne. In spite of this, Natalia has been shown to be very protective of Wolfe. Recently, however, Ryan has shown mild concern over Natalia's hearing loss, going as far to force her to see a doctor. Actress Eva LaRue has said that she believes Natalia will end up falling in love with Ryan (Jonathan Togo) because of his devotion to her throughout her disability. Their relationship has been shaky throughout Natalia's mole status, Ryan's need to display seniority, his loss of job and eventual return, and her relationship with Delko.
In the seventh season, he appears to know about Calleigh and Eric's relationship ("Flight Risk (CSI: Miami)"), joking to Natalia in the plane's "love nest" that they would like that on a plane, with a shooting range. There is also a strong fan-base between Calleigh and Ryan, and the producers said it had been a concern that Eric/Calleigh would not have been welcomed warmly.
Horatio Caine and Wolfe never had the strongest relationship among the CSI's. The two have worked together well, but Horatio quickly puts Ryan's life on the line to stage Caine's murder before Delko. He obviously trusts Wolfe with his life, but the two never connected as well as Delko and Caine did (probably due to their connection to the late Marisol Delko Caine)
* Ryan has had mild altercations with Eric Delko on many occasions. The two have exchanged harsh words and almost to appear to dislike each other. Despite this, the two work well together.
* He was impaled in the eye with a nailgun in the episode "Nailed". At the end of the episode "Burned" (#522), Ryan was fired for being directly linked to a murder suspect and lying about it. Seeking jobs as both a crime-scene expert, an expert witness for the defense, a firearms range technician and applying to work as an ME Investigator while applying for reinstatement, he was later reinstated.
* Ryan has been identified as the leak in the Crime Lab. He has given crucial information to a local reporter that has sometimes compromised the case.
* He first appeared in the episode "Under the Influence", but did not become a regular cast member until "Hell Night".
* Ryan appears to believe in curses ("Curse of the Coffin").
Ryan Wolfe Photos
|Previous: Detective Frank Tripp||Next: Walter Simmons|