60 min.
Country
USA
Network
The CW TV Network

Top Contributors

Arrow tv show photo

Arrow

After a violent shipwreck, billionaire playboy Oliver Queen was missing and presumed dead for five years before being discovered alive on a remote island in the Pacific. When he returns home to Starling City Oliver has been changed by his ordeal on the island. While he hides the truth about the man he's become, he desperately wants to make amends for the actions he took as the boy he was.

Watch Preview

Message Board

Ask New Question
« Back to discussion list
romeo53
guru
Arrow

What spoilers are buried in Green Arrow's TV casting sheet?

With The CW's take on DC's Green Arrow—now simply titled Arrow—given the green light to shoot a pilot, details are beginning to slip out: namely, a rundown of all the show's major characters. And there are some very familiar faces.

It was a given that a CW version of Green Arrow would skew younger than the Emerald Archer is usually seen in the comics (not withstanding the New 52 edition). So it's not surprising to see the general whippersnapperishness of all these characters. And some of the character backgrounds feel like they're leaning on Andy Diggle and Jock's Green Arrow: Year One comic book miniseries for inspiration—perhaps right down to naming one of the characters "Diggle."

To wit:

Oliver Queen: A 27-year-old reformed bad boy, who after having spent five years shipwrecked on a tiny, brutally dangerous island in the South China Sea returns to town a different man. Or to be more specific, a tortured, thoughtful master of the bow with a ferocious determination to make a difference.
Dinah "Laurel" Lance: 28 years old, smart sexy, Laurel is a legal aid attorney determined to use her life as a one-woman war against the 1% following the death of her younger sister Sara. A sister, who as luck would have it, just so happened to have died aboard Oliver's yacht.

Tommy Merlyn: 28 years old and devil-smooth, Tommy is a trustafarian like Oliver, a spectacularly rich young man whose life revolves around parties, clubs, liquor and lots of anonymous sex. Unlike Oliver, he can't seem to understand his former best friend's sudden change of lifestyle and direction.

Moira Queen: 48 years old, a beautiful woman, Oliver's mother Moira is a very wealthy woman who is not used to being shaken. Having remarried during the five years that former husband Robert and Oliver were both presumed dead, Moira has had free rein over the Queen billions. Not surprisingly, she's deeply interested in learning whether or not Robert will also return unexpectedly, to ruin her present marriage and go over the books with a fine-tooth comb.

John Diggle: 35 years old, African-American, Diggle is really, really big, a former military man who served with the Army Rangers in Afghanistan, and has been a bodyguard for hire for the last four years. Hired by Moira to be Oliver's chauffeur and protector, Diggle soon finds he is trapped in a battle of wits, as Oliver repeatedly eludes his protection. But in fact, Diggle's primary conflict is one of loyalty𔃐he has to show that he's working for Oliver, not Moira, before Oliver will give him a smidgen of trust.

Thea Queen: 17 years old (suggest 17-22 years), Oliver's Lolita-esque sister, Thea was a 12 year old girl when he went on his infamous yachting voyage—but now she's a celebutante who's testing the boundaries of acceptable behavior. Thea loved her big brother with all her heart, and is delighted to have him back in her life—but she's spreading her wings, and is unprepared for Oliver to become the Bad Cop in the family, restricting her access to boys and drugs.

Basically, crazy-sexy-rich people behaving badly ... one of whom likes to shoot things with pointy sticks. Sounds right up The CW's alley.

8 years ago
Comments
romeo53
guru

Look who'll be playing Oliver Queen in The CW's Green Arrow pilot

The CW has done what we all thought was impossible. They've found a new actor to play the Green Arrow, replacing Justin Hartley, who was perfect in the role. Earlier this year, the network green-lit a pilot based on the superhero, and now they've cast the leading role. Are you ready to meet the new Oliver Queen?

According to Deadline, 30-year-old Stephen Amell will headline the Green Arrow pilot. If he looks or sounds vaguely familiar, it's probably because of his multiple guest spots. Amell has appeared on the CW hits 90210 and The Vampire Diaries, as well as HBO's Hung and ABC's Private Practice.

If that's not enough, he also has a Starz connection. Prior to the hiring of Liam McIntyre, Amell was one of the three finalists to replace Andy Whitfield on Spartacus. Luckily for him, that gig didn't work out.

The CW's Green Arrow will center on "the vigilante superhero who fights crime using archery, martial arts and technology under his secret identity as Oliver Queen, a wealthy playboy and billionaire industrialist-turned-outspoken-politician in Star City."

The pilot will be directed by David Nutter, from a script written and produced by Andrew Kreisberg, Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim.

What do you think of the new Oliver Queen? Does he fit the bill?

8 years ago
romeo53
guru

The CW's Green Arrow has found his Black Canary, and her name is ...

The CW is wasting no time with its Green Arrow pilot. After a long search, they've finally found Oliver Queen's leading lady. Prepare to break out the fishnet stockings and the leather jacket

According to TV Line, Katie Cassidy will play Dinah "Laurel" Lance in the Arrow pilot. The actress is no stranger to The CW, having appeared on Supernatural, Gossip Girl and the short-lived Melrose Place reboot.

Cassidy's version of Dinah is described as "a young attorney with the City Necessary Resources Initiative who shares a romantic past with Green Arrow's alter ego, Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell)." The last time the network featured the character was in Smallville, where Alaina Huffman played the role. Huffman did double duty as both Dinah and her superhero alter ego Black Canary.

The Arrow cast is rapidly growing. Aside from Amell and Cassidy, they've also hired Susanna Thompson to play Moira Queen (Oliver's mom) and David Ramsey as John Diggle, "an ex-military/special forces type" that works as Oliver's private security.

What do you think of the new Dinah Lance? Does the Arrow cast make the grade?

8 years ago
romeo53
guru

'Arrow' Casts Its Own Captain Jack

John Barrowman will have recurring role in new series

There doesn't seem to be any "Torchwood" coming in the near future, and his effort to land a pilot with Shonda Rhimes didn't go so well.

But don't worry, John Barrowman is returning to American television, and why not alongside another superhero (yeah, we consider The Doctor to be pretty super).

Barrowman will have a recurring role in the new The CW series "Arrow," according to Entertainment Weekly. It's not quite clear who he is playing, but there is some speculation that he could take on popular comic character Stanley Dover Sr.

Dover, according to comics canon, was a demon-worshipper who would end up binding his grandson to a hell demon after attempting to harness immortality. The younger Dover and the demon would appear in "Stanley and his Monster" in the 1960s and 1990s, and would return in a revised version of their characters in the 2000s during Kevin Smith's tenure with the Green Arrow comic books.

All The CW will reveal is that Barrowman will play a well-dressed man who is as "mysterious as he is wealthy."

Stephen Amell will play the DC Comics title character in the series, and will be joined by the likes of Colin Donnell, Katie Cassidy, David Ramsey and Willa Holland.

Barrowman got a huge introduction to genre audiences in 2005 when he played Captain Jack Harkness -- a time agent trying to make some money on an old piece of space junk during World War II. He would continue on as a companion alongside Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper, before scoring a spinoff of his own, "Torchwood."

There, empowered by Piper's character of Rose absorbing the time vortex of the Tardis, Harkness became immortal -- a key piece of his character, and one that would haunt him in last year's "Torchwood: Miracle Day" miniseries on the Starz premium cable network.

Later, he would have a recurring role in ABC's "Desperate Housewives" as Patrick Logan.

"Arrow" premieres Oct. 10 on The CW.

8 years ago
romeo53
guru

The CW reveals the second superhero we'll be seeing on Arrow

Arrow has snatched another character from the DC catalogue. The series has cast a new heroine, one who'll give the archer a run for his money. Green Arrow isn't the only vigilante with a score to settle.

The Huntress is coming to Starling City. Arrow has tapped Australian actress Jessica De Gouw to play the famed character. Her incarnation will follow the backstory of Helena Bertinelli, the scorned mob princess.

According to the official description:

"Helena is a potential love interest for Oliver Queen; a fellow vigilante, set on destroying her father's organized crime empire. But Helena's blind pursuit of revenge will put her on a collision course with the Arrow."

De Gouw is set for a multi-episode arc, and scheduled to make her debut around episode six. Lately, Arrow's casting department has been on a roll. Before De Gouw, Torchwood's John Barrowman signed on to play a "prominent figure" and Kelly Hu (X2: X-Men United) was cast as villainess China White.

In 2002, The WB produced another comic-based series called Birds of Prey. It also featured The Huntress, but in that version she went by Helena Kyle (Wayne)—the daughter of Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle. The role was played by Ashley Scott.

With all these additions, Arrow is getting more interesting by the minute.

8 years ago
starbuck13
guru

I will definitely give this a shot.

8 years ago
thor

So, what does everyone think of the first episode? I thought it was very good, i have high hopes for this one.

8 years ago
romeo53
guru

yeah not a bad start

but ive said that before and then poof gone

8 years ago
starbuck13
guru

I really like it so far.Hope it will only get better.

8 years ago
77sam77
pro

I was actually really surprised I watched the promos and was "meh" but i really enjoyed it, has lots of potential. I never read the comics or know much about Green Arrow so I have no clue where the story is going to go or if they are even following how it did go but im dying to see where it goes. For a pilot episode im already hooked that usually doesnt happen for me :D

8 years ago
tash845
guru

We're not getting the CW right now ... the channel has been off for a while. Dispute with the cable channel who carries it. I'll try to catch online.

8 years ago
romeo53
guru

Arrow launches big with over 4 million viewers

The CW’s new superhero drama is off to a big start, giving the netlet its biggest ratings in three years.
The series premiere of Arrow drew 4.14 million viewers last night. This was good for a 1.3 rating in the key demographic of adults 18 to 49, and gave a boost to Supernatural the following hour (2.51 million viewers).
It was the most-watched show on The CW in three years and the biggest premiere since The Vampire Diaries. The premiere also beat NBC’s offering in the 8 p.m. hour; 3.8 million watched Animal Practice.
Arrow stars Stephen Amell as billionaire playboy Oliver Queen, who returns from five years stranded on a deserted island to become a vigilante hero.

8 years ago
lionprince
expert

Great Start

8 years ago
tash845
guru

Found it online!

8 years ago
blufish67
guru

I never heard of Arrow before. I really enjoyed watching the first 2 episodes, especially the fitness training and action scenes. It does get a little bit comical though, when he says to everyone "you failed this city". Looking forward to the next episode.

8 years ago
wollyv
expert

I really loved it - absolute favorite - my kind of TV entertainment (and I do watch a lot) !!

8 years ago
wollyv
expert

just watched 1x03 and thought: still going strong !!!
Wish I knew more about "how to write" to comment better.
I'll use laymen words like: very entertaining if you are not looking for a deeper sense behind it all (it remains a comic book background), lots of action (that is a "yeah", despite the sometimes all too evident "how did he do that without "cheating"), a story to follow and make you want to come back (hopefully not too much otherwise risking the "once in a while audience" that get lost and lose interest because too much background is missing without continuity).
At episode 3 stronger than, e.g. Revolution at the same point in time. In a way, the story - as is - reminds me a lot of Revenge but Emily can't do as many pull-ups, her looks have to make up for it.

8 years ago
77sam77
pro

hahaha I love your "Emily can't do as many pull-ups" comment made a actually LOL. I have to say Arrow has got to be one of my most looked forward shows on tv right now and I watch at least 5 shows a night. Arrow just keeps getting better and better and I'm so excited to see where it goes and when he finishes his "list" if the show will end naturally or if more things will happen and he sets out to the save the day once again. I think my favorite thing about Green Arrow is that he does kill people and isn't trying to do all this stuff without hurting a fly.

8 years ago
wollyv
expert

where are you sam ? Your day seems to have more hours than mine ! If enough people look (watch) I bet find the book has really thin pages - and plenty of them. I sure hope we find out how bad Oliver's father really was and how many people should have crossed the road at rush hour blindfolded.
Oliver "Arrow" Queen and the "rightful dead" remind me of the "real" Jack Reacher (not the small person playing him in the movies !!).

8 years ago
romeo53
guru

Arrow gets full-season pick-up

It’s the biggest hit in three years for The CW, so this news comes as no surprise: Arrow has been given a full-season order.
The series premiered to 4.14 million people (Live Same Day) earlier this month, with a 1.3 rating for the 18 to 49 demographic (story). The show dropped to 3.55 million (down 14 percent) for episode two and 3.51 million for episode three.
A full-season pick-up means that The CW is asking producers for the “back nine” — another nine episodes on top of the original 13-episode deal. Season One will be comprised of 22 episodes, stretching to next spring.

8 years ago
barbare11a
guru

Thanks for the great news Romeo! I've just watched the first 3 episodes back-to-back and absolutely LOVE Arrow... Stephen Amell's amazing body is in it for a great deal, I admit. :-)

8 years ago
lionprince
expert

Great News...

8 years ago
kleo
regular

is it good?

8 years ago
77sam77
pro

yes it's good, it's must watch on tv right now :D

8 years ago
kleo
regular

great, i'll try it :)

8 years ago
itcdr
Administrator

Just watched the first 3 episodes. A lot better than I thought it would be. Although I pretty much like anything based on DC comics so I'm an easy sell.

8 years ago
brat07
expert

I like the show, but i'm not a fan of continual flashbacks to justify the premise for each episode.

8 years ago
katel
guru

I've tried to get into this one but just cannot. To me it doesn't have the appeal Smallville did. I loved Smallville and all the characters in it.

As for flashbacks, I don't like continual flashbacks in any shows.

8 years ago
77sam77
pro

See I love Smallville and I love Arrow!
Smallville is too goody-goody where as Arrow doesn't hold back, he's a murderer just trying to better the city and create justice...is he a villain or a hero or can he be both?

8 years ago
brat07
expert

I never really got into Smallville, but wasn't there a character at some stage playing The Arrow? Or am i thinking of another show?

8 years ago
romeo53
guru

no your wright

8 years ago
katel
guru

Oliver Queen was a regular character in Smallville. He was a main character in the end.

8 years ago
barbare11a
guru

I love Arrow and the flashbacks are great as you slowly see how he got to who he's become today... Sofar I'm waiting for each episode...desperately. Too bad we see so little of those abs..... ;-)

8 years ago
brat07
expert

I like Arrow but the flashbacks have a show of their own now..

8 years ago
bigrich
guru

this is really starting to shape up to a great show.

8 years ago
harryheck
expert

Love how every episode ends like most other shows end their seasons :)

8 years ago
itcdr
Administrator

Arrow is getting better and better. Last episode before the break (Season 1, Episode 9) was perfection. They used the flashbacks to throw off suspicion of who the bad archer really was. Can't wait for the next episode.

8 years ago
newlinux
guru

Arrow is now a can't miss show for me. This is really great. I like to mix of story, action, long term and short term plots

8 years ago
romeo53
guru

probably the one show that really surprised me

thought it would go the same way as all the other superhero shows

8 years ago
brat07
expert

Loved episode 10. Definitely getting better.

8 years ago
romeo53
guru

GreenArrowTV has gotten official confirmation that Arrow Season 1 will have 23 episodes and not just 22 as originally expected!

8 years ago
brat07
expert

Nice ending on ep13 arrrrgh.... :)

8 years ago
ciwifrukt
regular

Just watched the first episode because everybody says its great, but I really dont like it. It's cheesy and too much batman/Lost wanna-be... Just my opinion.

7 years ago
meansis
expert

HI !

This is one of the show that could have great potential. But so far I am bored out of my skin with it.
It is so much predictable, lots of talking that viewer already guessed because of the slowness of it all. I agree with the comment of ciwifrukt.

; )

7 years ago
newlinux
guru

It is a bit cheesy (it's dark and cheesy, that's tough to pull off) but it is based on a comic. And in the comic there are a lot of parallels with Batman character). I have found it enjoyable, but I do wonder where it is going... The island scenes I find more intriguing than the current story these days.

7 years ago
romeo53
guru

probably the biggest surprise for me this season of all the new shows

really thought it would just go the same way like all the rest of the superhero shows down the drain

l'll be the first to admit it's still a bit cheesy but it is watchable

7 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.