77 (passed away Dec. 29th, 2004)
Jan. 3rd, 1927
Akron, Ohio, USA
William Boyett's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born January 3, 1927(1927-01-03)
Died December 29, 2004(2004-12-29) (aged 77)
Mission Hills, California
William Boyett (January 3, 1927 – December 29, 2004) was an American actor best known for his work as the low-key but authoritative Sergeant William 'Mac' MacDonald on the police drama Adam-12. Adam-12 producer Jack Webb recommended him for the role after his performance in an episode of Webb's Dragnet, and Boyett stayed with the series for its entire 1968-1975 run.
Boyett appeared in a number of TV shows, such as Highway Patrol, Sea Hunt, Perry Mason, I Spy, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (uncredited; "The Secret Sceptre Affair" from 1965), Fantasy Island, The Rockford Files, Star Trek: The Next Generation, The A-Team and Night Court. He also acted in several motion pictures, such as The Rocketeer (1991) and The Hidden (1987). Boyett earned much praise for The Hidden as a hospital patient named Jonathan P. Miller, possessed by an alien being with a taste for red Ferraris and rock and roll music. Boyett also played Battalion Chief McConnike on the 1970s series Emergency!
Boyett was born in Akron, Ohio and lived there until the 1940s when he moved with his family to Los Angeles, California. He won a Shakespeare competition in high school which led to acting jobs in radio. He served in the Navy during World War II and afterward performed on the stage in New York and Los Angeles.
Boyett died December 29, 2004 in Los Angeles at the age of 77, of complications from pneumonia and kidney failure. He left behind a wife, two brothers, a son and daughter, and two granddaughters.
- Attended the University of Southern California.
- Children: Suzy and Kevin.
- Born in Ohio, he was raised in Waco, Texas, before his family moved to Los Angeles in the early 1940s.
- Served in the Pacific with the US Navy during World War Two.
- Started acting on radio after winning a high school Shakespearean competition.
- After university and service in the military, he was in various stage productions in New York City and Los Angeles before he started working in television and movies.
Related sites for this celeb