Oct. 10th, 1969
Bellflower, California, USA
Wendi McLendon-Covey's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
McLendon-Covey was born Wendy Anne McLendon in Bellflower, California. She has been married since 1996 to Greg Covey. They live in Long Beach, California.
She is best known for her ability as an improvisational actress. She was a member of The Groundlings Theater in Los Angeles from 2002–2009. While a member of the Groundlings, McLendon-Covey was a classmate of comedians Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig, with whom she would later star in the film Bridesmaids.
McLendon-Covey is widely known for her role as Deputy Clementine Johnson on the Comedy Central television series Reno 911! which ran from (2003–2009) and resulted in a 2007 film. She also starred in the Lifetime show Lovespring International in (2006) and has provided commentary for E!, TV Guide Channel, and VH1. In 2007 she starred in the comede film Reno 911!: Miami, based on Comedy Central's Reno 911!. McLendon-Covey guest-starred on television series such as The Office, 10 Things I Hate About You, Cougar Town, I Hate My Teenage Daughter, Modern Family, and Hot in Cleveland.
In 2011, she starred in the financially successful and critically lauded comedy film Bridesmaids with Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy and Ellie Kemper. Beginning in July that same year, she began starring in national TV ads for a new campaign by Hillshire Farm. From 2010 to 2012 she had recurring role on the CBS sitcom Rules of Engagement.
She appeared in the 2012 romantic comedy What to Expect When You're Expecting, directed by Kirk Jones, as well as Steven Soderbergh's drama Magic Mike. She will have roles in the Christmas comedy movie A White Trash Christmas about a white-trash mom visited by three ghosts intent on showing her a path to a brighter future, and in the ensemble cast drama-comedy film Claire's Cambodia directed by Academy Award-nominated and Emmy-winning Stacy Sherman about three estranged sister dealing with the death of their father. She also stars in the 2012 comedy pilot Waffle Hut.
In February 2012 she was cast opposite Goldie Hawn in the HBO comedy pilot The Viagra Diaries, created by Sex and the City creator and executive producer Darren Star, but when Hawn exited the pilot, McLendon-Covey also left the show. After she received five offers, she ultimately settled as the female lead role on ABC's comedy pilot Only Fools And Horses with John Leguizamo and Christopher Lloyd. She also was cast as lead of Tyler Perry's film Single Moms Club, set to open at May 9, 2014.
- She graduated from California State University Long Beach with a B.A. in Liberal Studies/Creative Writing.
- Was a spokesperson for the charity COPS 4 Causes.
- Has been called the "Queen of Improv" by TV Guide for her work on two unscripted shows: Reno 911, and Lovespring International.
- Her character Deputy Clementine Johnson from Reno 911! Was listed in Maxim's Top 10 TV Nymphos. "Clementine" was a character Wendi developed at the Groundling Theater, but she wasn't originally a cop. The character of Clementine's common law husband Steed (they had a wedding in season 1 but were never officially married because they never got a license)was also developed at the Groundlings.
- Her favourite band is Steely Dan. Her character on "Reno 911!" had a tattoo on her back which once said "Steed" (a one-time boyfriend), later changed to "Steely Dan" after the relationship ended.
- Was a member of the L.A. based Improv/Comedy Troupe "The Groundlings" from 2002-2009.