Dec. 4th, 1973
Los Angeles, California, USA
Tyra Banks' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Tyra Lynne Banks (born December 4, 1973) is an American model, television personality, talk show host, producer, author, actress, singer and business woman.
She began her career as a model at age 15 and rose to fame, becoming the first African American woman on the covers of GQ and the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, of which she appeared twice. She is one of the original Victoria's Secret Angels.By the early 2000s, Banks was one of the top-earning models in the world. Subsequently she moved onto television and film, known for her roles as Eve in Disney channel's Life-Size, and Zoe in the box office hit Coyote Ugly. Banks first appeared on television on the show The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and has since been featured in small roles in romantic film Love & Basketball, horror film Halloween: Resurrection, has appeared in numerous television shows, including Gossip Girl and Glee.
In 2003, Banks created and became the host of the UPN/The CW long-running reality television show America's Next Top Model. Banks was also the co-creator of True Beauty, and was the host of her own talk show, The Tyra Banks Show, which aired on The CW for five seasons and won two Daytime Emmy award for Outstanding Talk Show Informative. She co-hosted the talk show FABLife.
In 2010, she published a young adult novel titled Modelland, based on her life as a model which topped The New York Times Best Seller list in 2011. Banks is one of four African Americans and seven women to have repeatedly ranked among the world's most influential people by TIME magazine.
- Is a "Youth Correspondent" for _"The Oprah Winfrey Show" (1986)_ (qv), and there is speculation that 'Oprah Winfrey' (qv) is training Tyra to eventually take over the show (as of February 2000).
- Her mother, 'Carolyn London (I)' (qv), is a professional photographer, and worked as her manager.
- Does not drink alcohol.
- In 1994, she started the Tyra Banks Scholarship.
- Served as maid of honor at the wedding of best friend 'Kimora Lee' (qv) to 'Russell Simmons' (qv)
- Chosen by FTC Publications Class-Elite Magazine (USA) as "The Role Model for Models" .
- Dated 'John Singleton (I)' (qv).
- Her first name is an old Danish name, originally from the vikings.