May. 24th, 1938
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Tommy Chong's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Chong was born at University Hospital in Edmonton, Alberta and given the name Thomas B. Kin Chong at birth. His mother was Lorna Jean (née Gilchrist), a waitress of Scots-Irish and French ancestry, and his father was Stanley Chong, a Chinese truck driver who immigrated to Canada from China in the 1920s. The senior Chong had first lived with an aunt in Vancouver after arriving in Canada.
When Tommy was young, his family moved to Calgary, settling in a conservative neighbourhood Chong has referred to as "Dog Patch". He has said that his father had "been wounded in World War II, and there was a veterans' hospital in Calgary. He bought a five-hundred dollar house in Dog Patch, and raised his family on fifty dollars a week." In an interview, Tommy Chong later said,
I dropped out of Crescent Heights High School when I was 16 but probably just before they were going to throw me out anyway. ... I played guitar to make money. I was about 16 when I discovered that music could get you laid, even if you were a scrawny, long-haired, geeky-looking guy like me.
-ShareTV Exclusive Interview with Tommy Chong
- Originally considered for the part of Shenzi alongside 'Cheech Marin' (qv) in _The Lion King (1994)_ (qv). But the directors couldn't get hold of Chong, So the part went to 'Whoopi Goldberg' (qv).
- Former brother-in-law of Three Dog Night drummer Floyd Sneed.
- Was considered for the role of Sheriff Leigh Brackett in _Halloween (1978)_ (qv).
- Father of 'Marcus Chong' (qv), 'Rae Dawn Chong' (qv), 'Robbi Chong' (qv), and 'Paris Chong' (qv).
- Shared the stage with Producer/Actor 'Anthony Begonia' (qv) for an East Meets West event in Little Tokyo.
- (2001) Has a stand-up comic act with his wife Shelby. They frequently perform to sold-out crowds.
- Biography in: "Who's Who in Comedy" by Ronald L. Smith. Pg. 104-105 (article "Cheech and Chong"). New York: Facts on File, 1992. ISBN 0816023387
- His father is Chinese, mother is Scots-Irish.
Related sites for this celeb