Jan. 29th, 1945
Detroit, Michigan, USA
6' 3 1/2
Tom Selleck's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Thomas William "Tom" Selleck (born January 29, 1945) is an American actor and film producer. He is best known for his starring role as the private investigator Thomas Magnum in the television series Magnum, P.I. (1980 to 1988), based in Hawaii. He also plays Police Chief Jesse Stone in a series of made-for-TV movies based on Robert B. Parker novels. Since 2010, he has appeared as NYPD Police Commissioner Frank Reagan in the drama Blue Bloods on CBS-TV.
Selleck has appeared in more than fifty film and television roles since his initial success with Magnum, P.I., including a co-starring role in the highest-grossing movie of 1987, Three Men and a Baby; Quigley Down Under; Mr. Baseball; and Lassiter, to name a few. Selleck has also appeared as Dr. Richard Burke on Friends, where he played the on-again, off-again love-interest of Monica Geller (Courteney Cox), and A.J. Cooper on Las Vegas.
- Used to be part owner of The Black Orchid restaurant with 'Larry Manetti' (qv) and one other investor in Honolulu, HI.
- Maintains a summer home in Jonesboro, Maine.
- Was turned down for the lead role in the TV show _"Vega$" (1978)_ (qv), which went to 'Robert Urich (I)' (qv). Selleck and Urich once co-starred in a TV pilot (that was never picked up) called _Bunco (1977) (TV)_ (qv).
- For the 8th and final season of _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv), Universal Studios gave him a bonus of $350,000, which he spent on lavish gifts, such as Rolex watches, Porsches, $1000 bonuses, for the entire cast and crew of _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv).
- Was asked to star opposite 'Julie Andrews (I)' (qv) in _Victor Victoria (1982)_ (qv) but hesitated, and by the time he decided he wanted the part, he was already locked into his _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv) contract - the very same contract that cost him the role of Indiana Jones in _Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)_ (qv).
- Vocally supported President 'Ronald Reagan (I)' (qv) throughout the 1980s.
- (1998) Chosen by People Magazine as one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world.
- Shaved off his trademark moustache for the 1997 film _In & Out (1997)_ (qv). Once rarely seen without it, he has since kept it off for most of his stage and screen work.