Jan. 29th, 1945
Detroit, Michigan, USA
6' 3 1/2
Tom Selleck's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Thomas William "Tom" Selleck (born January 29, 1945) is an American actor and film producer. He is best known for his starring role as the private investigator Thomas Magnum in the television series Magnum, P.I. (1980 to 1988), based in Hawaii. He also plays Police Chief Jesse Stone in a series of made-for-TV movies based on Robert B. Parker novels. Since 2010, he has appeared as NYPD Police Commissioner Frank Reagan in the drama Blue Bloods on CBS-TV.
Selleck has appeared in more than fifty film and television roles since his initial success with Magnum, P.I., including a co-starring role in the highest-grossing movie of 1987, Three Men and a Baby; Quigley Down Under; Mr. Baseball; and Lassiter, to name a few. Selleck has also appeared as Dr. Richard Burke on Friends, where he played the on-again, off-again love-interest of Monica Geller (Courteney Cox), and A.J. Cooper on Las Vegas.
- His only biological child is Hannah, his daughter with 'Jillie Mack' (qv). 'Kevin Selleck' (qv) is the son of his first wife, 'Jacqueline Ray' (qv), from her first marriage. Tom Selleck adopted Kevin during the marriage and has continued to treat him as a beloved son after he and 'Jacqueline Ray' (qv) divorced.
- Maintains a summer home in Jonesboro, Maine.
- Member of the conservative Wednesday Morning Club in Hollywood.
- Selleck was originally cast as Indiana Jones, but was not able to take the role because he was committed to "Magnum, P.I." (1980). "Magnum" did an episode that parodied "Raiders" complete with hat, whip and booby traps.
- (28 April 2000) Received an honorary doctorate from Pepperdine University. He was chosen because of his outstanding character and ethic. He is a board member of the non-profit Michael Josephson Institute of Ethics and co-founder of the Character Counts Coalition. Attended the University of Southern California and in his senior year earned a basketball scholarship after walking onto the team as a junior.
- Was a member of the California National Guard and was activated for the Watts riots.
- First TV appearance was as a college senior on _"The Dating Game" (1965)_ (qv) in 1967 and then a second time (date unknown at this time). Incredibly, he lost both times. Soon after, he appeared in TV commercials for products such as Pepsi-Cola.
- The decision of choosing the leading role of Indiana Jones in _Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)_ (qv) or _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv) actually haunted Selleck so much that he consulted his best friend. Together they came to the conclusion that honoring his contract with _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv) was the honorable thing to do. It turned out that the shooting of the pilot for _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv) was delayed for over 6 months, which would have enabled Selleck to complete the role of Indiana Jones. Ironically, while waiting in Hawaii for _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv) to commence filming, 'Steven Spielberg' (qv) and 'George Lucas (I)' (qv) were also in Hawaii to shoot scenes for _Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)_ (qv).