Jan. 29th, 1945
Detroit, Michigan, USA
6' 3 1/2
Tom Selleck's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Thomas William "Tom" Selleck (born January 29, 1945) is an American actor and film producer. He is best known for his starring role as the private investigator Thomas Magnum in the television series Magnum, P.I. (1980 to 1988), based in Hawaii. He also plays Police Chief Jesse Stone in a series of made-for-TV movies based on Robert B. Parker novels. Since 2010, he has appeared as NYPD Police Commissioner Frank Reagan in the drama Blue Bloods on CBS-TV.
Selleck has appeared in more than fifty film and television roles since his initial success with Magnum, P.I., including a co-starring role in the highest-grossing movie of 1987, Three Men and a Baby; Quigley Down Under; Mr. Baseball; and Lassiter, to name a few. Selleck has also appeared as Dr. Richard Burke on Friends, where he played the on-again, off-again love-interest of Monica Geller (Courteney Cox), and A.J. Cooper on Las Vegas.
- Was a member of the California National Guard and was activated for the Watts riots.
- Was asked to star opposite 'Julie Andrews (I)' (qv) in _Victor Victoria (1982)_ (qv) but hesitated, and by the time he decided he wanted the part, he was already locked into his _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv) contract - the very same contract that cost him the role of Indiana Jones in _Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)_ (qv).
- Best known for his role on TV as the title character on _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv).
- Was considered as the next President of the National Rifle Association (NRA) following the retirement of his close friend 'Charlton Heston' (qv) in 2003.
- Honored by the Congressional Award in Washington, DC with the 1997 Horizon Award. The Horizon Award is a special recognition from the Joint Leadership of the United States Congress and the Congressional Award Board of Directors. The Horizon Award is presented to individuals from the private sectors who have contributed to expanding opportunities for all Americans through their own personal contributions, and who have set exceptional examples for young people through their successes in life.
- Member of the Sigma Chi Fraternity.
- Is a member of the National Rifle Association and memorably sparred with 'Rosie O'Donnell' (qv) on _"The Rosie O'Donnell Show" (1996)_ (qv) about gun control and an advertisement in which he appeared supporting the NRA.
- His only biological child is Hannah, his daughter with 'Jillie Mack' (qv). 'Kevin Selleck' (qv) is the son of his first wife, 'Jacqueline Ray' (qv), from her first marriage. Tom Selleck adopted Kevin during the marriage and has continued to treat him as a beloved son after he and 'Jacqueline Ray' (qv) divorced.