Jan. 29th, 1945
Detroit, Michigan, USA
6' 3 1/2
Tom Selleck's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Thomas William "Tom" Selleck (born January 29, 1945) is an American actor and film producer. He is best known for his starring role as the private investigator Thomas Magnum in the television series Magnum, P.I. (1980 to 1988), based in Hawaii. He also plays Police Chief Jesse Stone in a series of made-for-TV movies based on Robert B. Parker novels. Since 2010, he has appeared as NYPD Police Commissioner Frank Reagan in the drama Blue Bloods on CBS-TV.
Selleck has appeared in more than fifty film and television roles since his initial success with Magnum, P.I., including a co-starring role in the highest-grossing movie of 1987, Three Men and a Baby; Quigley Down Under; Mr. Baseball; and Lassiter, to name a few. Selleck has also appeared as Dr. Richard Burke on Friends, where he played the on-again, off-again love-interest of Monica Geller (Courteney Cox), and A.J. Cooper on Las Vegas.
- Best known for his role on TV as the title character on _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv).
- Appeared in the Broadway show "A Thousand Clowns" without a mustache, a rarity for Selleck.
- (28 April 2000) Received an honorary doctorate from Pepperdine University. He was chosen because of his outstanding character and ethic. He is a board member of the non-profit Michael Josephson Institute of Ethics and co-founder of the Character Counts Coalition. Attended the University of Southern California and in his senior year earned a basketball scholarship after walking onto the team as a junior.
- Studied acting at The Beverly Hills Playhouse with 'Milton Katselas' (qv).
- Member of the Sigma Chi Fraternity.
- Used to be part owner of The Black Orchid restaurant with 'Larry Manetti' (qv) and one other investor in Honolulu, HI.
- Turned down the role of Richard on the TV show _"Titans" (2000)_ (qv).
- Shaved off his trademark moustache for the 1997 film _In & Out (1997)_ (qv). Once rarely seen without it, he has since kept it off for most of his stage and screen work.