Jul. 9th, 1956
Concord, California, USA
Tom Hanks' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born in California, Hanks grew up in what he calls a "fractured" family. His parents were pioneers in the development of marriage dissolution law in that state, and Hanks moved around a lot, living with a succession of step-families. No problems, no abuse, no alcoholism, just a confused childhood. He had no acting experience in college and, in fact, credits the fact that he couldn't get cast in a college play with actually starting his career - he went downtown, auditioned for a community theater play, was invited by the director of that play to go to Cleveland, and there his acting career started.
He met his second wife, actress 'Rita Wilson' on the set of the his television show Bosom Buddies (1980), she appeared in one episode in the second season (1981). They have two children and Tom has another son and daughter by his first wife. In 1996, he made his first step behind the camera, directing as well as starring and writing the film That Thing You Do! (1996).
- Between 1994 and 2004, he was the performer nominated for the most Academy Awards (four times, along with 'Sean Penn (I)' (qv), 'Meryl Streep' (qv), 'Julianne Moore (I)' (qv), 'Judi Dench' (qv) and 'Ed Harris (I)' (qv)) and won the most (twice).
- Has been good friends with 'Bruce Springsteen' (qv) since his youth.
- Is a frequent guest host on _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv).
- Forbes magazine estimated his 1999 earnings at $71.5 million.
- Cited as America's Favorite Movie Star in Harris Polls conducted in 2002, 2004, 2005, a record number of times as the #1 favorite. 'Harrison Ford (I)' (qv) and 'Clint Eastwood' (qv) are the only other actors to have achieved that feat.
- His first wife 'Samantha Lewes' (qv) died of cancer 14 years after their divorce.
- In 2007, Forbes Magazine reported that his earnings were estimated to be $74 million the previous year.
- Born to Amos Mefford Hanks, a chef, and his wife Janet Marylyn Frager, a hospital worker, his parents divorced in 1960.