Jul. 9th, 1956
Concord, California, USA
Tom Hanks' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born in California, Hanks grew up in what he calls a "fractured" family. His parents were pioneers in the development of marriage dissolution law in that state, and Hanks moved around a lot, living with a succession of step-families. No problems, no abuse, no alcoholism, just a confused childhood. He had no acting experience in college and, in fact, credits the fact that he couldn't get cast in a college play with actually starting his career - he went downtown, auditioned for a community theater play, was invited by the director of that play to go to Cleveland, and there his acting career started.
He met his second wife, actress 'Rita Wilson' on the set of the his television show Bosom Buddies (1980), she appeared in one episode in the second season (1981). They have two children and Tom has another son and daughter by his first wife. In 1996, he made his first step behind the camera, directing as well as starring and writing the film That Thing You Do! (1996).
- He is an environmental conservationist and often advocates and supports natural causes.
- Attended Skyline High School in Oakland, California.
- In 2007, Forbes Magazine reported that his earnings were estimated to be $74 million the previous year.
- His performance as Chuck Noland in _Cast Away (2000)_ (qv) is ranked #46 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
- Was asked to play the title role in _Jerry Maguire (1996)_ (qv).
- Has another brother who is a professor at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana, IL.
- Marriedhis first wife 'Samantha Lewes' (qv) (real name: Susan Dillingham) two months after their son Colin's birth.
- Younger brother of Sandra Hanks and Larry Hanks and older brother of 'Jim Hanks (I)' (qv).