Jul. 9th, 1956
Concord, California, USA
Tom Hanks' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born in California, Hanks grew up in what he calls a "fractured" family. His parents were pioneers in the development of marriage dissolution law in that state, and Hanks moved around a lot, living with a succession of step-families. No problems, no abuse, no alcoholism, just a confused childhood. He had no acting experience in college and, in fact, credits the fact that he couldn't get cast in a college play with actually starting his career - he went downtown, auditioned for a community theater play, was invited by the director of that play to go to Cleveland, and there his acting career started.
He met his second wife, actress 'Rita Wilson' on the set of the his television show Bosom Buddies (1980), she appeared in one episode in the second season (1981). They have two children and Tom has another son and daughter by his first wife. In 1996, he made his first step behind the camera, directing as well as starring and writing the film That Thing You Do! (1996).
- Enjoys collecting typewriters, purchasing over 80 of them around the globe.
- Was in attendance at 'Princess Diana' (qv)'s funeral along with 'Steven Spielberg' (qv), 'Tom Cruise' (qv), 'Nicole Kidman' (qv), among others.
- Voted best actor by the readers of "Us" magazine (1995).
- Born at 11:17 AM
- Hanks cited the help of a nearby ice cream shop which helped him gain 30 pounds for his role in _A League of Their Own (1992)_ (qv).
- Had made three films with director 'Steven Spielberg' (qv), all of which are tied to Europe. _Saving Private Ryan (1998)_ (qv) revolved around his character and his infantry unit seeking out a missing private in Europe during WW II. _Catch Me If You Can (2002)_ (qv) involved his character tracking down 'Frank Abagnale Jr.' (qv) in France and in _The Terminal (2004)_ (qv), his character was from the fictional eastern European country of Krakohzia.
- His Oscar acceptance speech for 1993's _Philadelphia (1993)_ (qv) led to the plot of the movie _In & Out (1997)_ (qv). Hanks thanked a gay teacher in his speech.
- Gained and later lost 50 lbs. for his role in _Cast Away (2000)_ (qv).