Jul. 9th, 1956
Concord, California, USA
Tom Hanks' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born in California, Hanks grew up in what he calls a "fractured" family. His parents were pioneers in the development of marriage dissolution law in that state, and Hanks moved around a lot, living with a succession of step-families. No problems, no abuse, no alcoholism, just a confused childhood. He had no acting experience in college and, in fact, credits the fact that he couldn't get cast in a college play with actually starting his career - he went downtown, auditioned for a community theater play, was invited by the director of that play to go to Cleveland, and there his acting career started.
He met his second wife, actress 'Rita Wilson' on the set of the his television show Bosom Buddies (1980), she appeared in one episode in the second season (1981). They have two children and Tom has another son and daughter by his first wife. In 1996, he made his first step behind the camera, directing as well as starring and writing the film That Thing You Do! (1996).
- Has worked with two actors who played 'Howard Hughes (I)' (qv). In _Philadelphia (1993)_ (qv), he worked with 'Jason Robards' (qv), who played Hughes in _Melvin and Howard (1980)_ (qv) for director 'Jonathan Demme' (qv). His cast mate in _Catch Me If You Can (2002)_ (qv) was 'Leonardo DiCaprio' (qv), who played Hughes in _The Aviator (2004)_ (qv) for 'Martin Scorsese' (qv).
- Has been good friends with 'Bruce Springsteen' (qv) since his youth.
- Received the Distinguished Public Service Award, the U. S. Navy's highest civilian honor, on Veterans Day 1999 for his work in the movie _Saving Private Ryan (1998)_ (qv).
- Marriedhis first wife 'Samantha Lewes' (qv) (real name: Susan Dillingham) two months after their son Colin's birth.
- Is a fan of English Premier League soccer team Aston Villa and was presented with a shirt on a TV show with the print 'Hanks 1' on the back.
- Both his maternal grandparents, though born in California, had Portuguese ancestry, originally from the Azores Islands.
- Stepson of the former Frances Wong, whom his father married in 1965.
- His Oscar acceptance speech for 1993's _Philadelphia (1993)_ (qv) led to the plot of the movie _In & Out (1997)_ (qv). Hanks thanked a gay teacher in his speech.