Mar. 11th, 1982
Los Angeles, California, USA
Thora Birch's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
From Monkey Trouble (1994) to American Beauty (1999)-- that's Hollywood "Hocus Pocus"! Thora Birch was born on Thursday (as in Thor's Day) March 11, 1982. Her father Jack, and mom Carol, named her after the Norse God Thor ("Thora" being the feminine), the God of thunder; she has a younger brother named Bolt. Thora appeared in one of the "classic" California raisin commercials in 1986 (at age 4), and later did other commercials. At age 6, Thora appeared in Purple People Eater (1988) and won a Youth in Film Award for her performance. Then she appeared in the television series "Parenthood" (1990), which co-starred a not-yet-discovered Leonardo DiCaprio. Thora's breakout movie was Paradise (1991) with bona fide stars Don Johnson (I) and Melanie Griffith; Thora bested 4,000 young hopefuls to land the role, and she again got great reviews. Thora appeared in Hocus Pocus (1993) with major stars; however, she got real recognition by having a starring role in Monkey Trouble (1994), in which her affection for her pet (and sometimes scene-stealing) monkey basically carried the entire movie (she and the monkey did their own stunts). All grown up, this petite beauty (5' 4") with green eyes had a major role in American Beauty (1999) which won 5 Oscar awards. Thora delivered a strong, effective performance as the alienated daughter of parents whose mid-life crises drive them to affairs and destruction; her acting was convincing and inspired, and once again received good reviews. A down-to-earth young woman in real life, she loves Italian food and diet root beer.
- Her parents, 'Jack Birch' (qv) & 'Carol Connors (I)' (qv), thought that she would be a boy, and planned on naming the child Thor, after the Norse God of Thunder and Lightning. When she was born, however, her parents feminized the name and called her Thora.
- She is of German, Scandinavian, and Italian descent.
- Was fired from _Election (1999)_ (qv) due to differences with director 'Alexander Payne (I)' (qv).
- Is a contributing director for sketch comedy group The Doomed Planet.
- Was actually only 16 years old at the time she was filmed nude for a scene in _American Beauty (1999)_ (qv). She told TV talk show host 'Craig Kilborn' (qv) when she appeared on his show in 2002 that her parents didn't have a problem with her doing a nude scene, despite her being under age, and they encouraged her to go ahead and do it. They agreed that her character's nude scene was so important to the development of her character that they gave their approval.
- Is a vegetarian.
- Brother is 'Bolt Birch' (qv).
- Appeared in 'Moby (I)' (qv)'s video "We Are All Made Of Stars" (2002) and "Eat You Alive" by 'Limp Bizkit' (qv) (2003).