Jun. 30th, 1944
Hammond, Indiana, USA
Terry Funk's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Funk has strong wrestling bloodlines. His dad Dory Funk, was a well known grappler from the 1940s to the 1970s, and his brother Dory Jr., wrestled from 1963 until the early 90s, and won the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) world heavyweight championship in 1969. Funk himself became NWA champion and thus the Funk's have the distinction of being the only brothers to win the NWA championship. Funk made his film debut as (what else?) a wrestler in Sylvester Stallone's (a noted wrestling fan) movie "Paradise Alley." Funk then did double-duty as a pro wrestler and actor/stunt man (he was prominate in Patrick Swayze's movie "Roadhouse." Not technically a great wrestler, Funk was more known for his brawling tactics, and had some great feuds during his career with "Handsome" Harley Race, "Nature Boy" Ric Flair, "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes and others. After maintaining a low profile in wrestling, Funk resurfaced in the 90s in the new Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW) series and the World Wrestling Federation (WWF), this time in his new persona as "Chainsaw Charlie."
- He is wrestling's Living Legend and after wrestling professionally in the WWF and other leagues, now wrestles in ECW (Extreme Championship Wrestling).
- Inducted into the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame in 2004.
- Notable Title Wins Include: NWA World Heavyweight title; NWA Western States title (6); NWA Western States Tag Team titles (2); NWA Amarillo International Tag Team titles; NWA Florida Television title; NWA Florida Tag Team titles; NWA Americas title; NWA Missouri title; NWA Championship Wrestling Florida title; NWA Amarillo Brass Knuckles title; NWA Amarillo Tag Team titles (2); NWA North American Tag Team titles; NWA/WCW United States title; NWA National Television title; NWA Los Angeles Tag Team titles; WWC Tag Team titles; SCW Tag Team titles; SCW Southwest Tag Team titles; SCW Southwest title; USWA Unified title; ECW Heavyweight title (2); ECW Television title; NWA Florida Southern title; WWF Tag Team titles with Cactus Jack; WCW Hardcore title; 3PW Heavyweight title.
- Son of professional wrestler 'Dory Funk Sr.' (qv). Brother of professional wrestler 'Dory Funk Jr.' (qv) The Funk Brothers are the only brothers to win the NWA Heavyweight Championship.
- Held the NWA World Heavyweight title from Dec. 10, 1975 to Feb. 6, 1977 as recognized by the National Wrestling Alliance.
- First Professional wrestler to be on a weekly Television series.
- He has gone under various names throughout his illustrious 40 years: Terrible Terry Funk, Tuxedo Terry Funk, Doctor Knows It All and Chainsaw Charlie.
- One of the 100 Greatest Wrestlers of the 20th Century (Inside Wrestling Presents, Summer 2000)
Related sites for this celeb