Mar. 18th, 1975
Sutton Foster's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Foster was born in Statesboro, Georgia and raised in Troy, Michigan. At age fifteen, she was a contestant on the television show Star Search and also auditioned for the cast of The Mickey Mouse Club. She left Troy High School before graduating (she received her diploma via correspondence courses) to join the national tour of The Will Rogers Follies directed by Tommy Tune. She then attended Carnegie Mellon University for one year, but left to pursue a theatrical career full-time. May 2012, she received an honorary doctorate from Ball State University. Her brother is actor Hunter Foster.
Foster's first Broadway role was as an understudy for Sandy Dumbrowski in Grease in 1996. She then appeared in The Scarlet Pimpernel and as Star to Be in Annie in 1997. Foster's next Broadway role was understudying for Eponine in Les Misérables in 2000.
In 2007, Foster appeared on television in Johnny and the Sprites, a children's musical puppet show, and in a three-episode story arc on the HBO series Flight of the Conchords. She also guest starred on an episode of Law & Order SVU, which aired on March 3, 2010 opposite comedian Kathy Griffin.
Foster plays the leading role in the 2012 ABC Family drama series, Bunheads. Developed by Amy Sherman-Palladino, the creator of Gilmore Girls, she plays former Las Vegas showgirl Michelle, who impulsively marries a man, moves to his small town, and begins teaching ballet lessons at her new mother-in-law's dance studio.
Foster met actor Christian Borle in college, and married him on September 18, 2006. During a radio interview in 2010, it was confirmed that Borle and Foster had gone their separate ways. Foster and Borle still remain good friends and continue to support each other's work.
Foster then dated actor Bobby Cannavale, but announced their breakup in an interview in April 2012.
- Growing up, Foster had a pillowcase which she carried around and slept with.
- Nominated for the 2009 Tony Award for Best Performance for a Leading Actress in a Musical for "Shrek The Musical.".
- In early 2006, she became engaged to longtime boyfriend, actor Christian Borle. They married in September of that year but have since divorced.
- Nominated in 2006 for her third Tony award for her performance as Jane Roberts/Janet Van De Graaff in "The Drowsy Chaperone."
- Attended the same high school as her fellow Broadway actors, 'Emily Hsu' (qv) and 'Donna McKechnie' (qv).
- She had attended Troy High School in Troy Michigan and she in her senior year did correspondence courses through the high school because she was on the road acting in the Will Rogers Follies.
- Sister-in-law of 'Jennifer Cody' (qv).
- Sister of Tony-nominated actor 'Hunter Foster (I)' (qv).
Related sites for this celeb