Dec. 18th, 1946
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Steven Spielberg's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Steven Allan Spielberg is an American filmmaker. He is considered one of the founding pioneers of the New Hollywood era and one of the most popular directors and producers in film history. Spielberg started in Hollywood directing television and several minor theatrical releases
- Ranked #1 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Greatest directors ever!" (2005).
- Though he has directed 9 actors in Oscar-nominated performances, to date he has never directed an Oscar-winning performance.
- Was irked when footage from his movie _Duel (1971) (TV)_ (qv) was used as stock footage in an episode of _"The Incredible Hulk" (1978)_ (qv). But since Universal Studios owned the rights to both the The Incredible Hulk series and the film of Duel, taking legal action was not possible. However, he subsequently updated his contracts to include a clause that would protect his future material from being used as stock footage.
- Directed nine actors in Oscar-nominated performances: 'Liam Neeson' (qv); 'Ralph Fiennes' (qv); 'Anthony Hopkins' (qv); 'Tom Hanks' (qv); 'Melinda Dillon' (qv); 'Whoopi Goldberg' (qv); 'Oprah Winfrey' (qv); 'Margaret Avery' (qv) and 'Christopher Walken' (qv).
- Has worked with four actors from the Hannibal Lecter film series, in reverse order to the order in which the Lecter films came out. The first one he worked with was 'Ralph Fiennes' (qv) in _Schindler's List (1993)_ (qv), who went on to play Francis Dollarhyde in _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv). His next film was _The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)_ (qv), with 'Julianne Moore (I)' (qv), who played Clarice Starling in the third Lecter film, _Hannibal (2001)_ (qv). After this, he made _Amistad (1997)_ (qv), with 'Anthony Hopkins' (qv), who began playing Hannibal Lecter in the second film, _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv). After this he made _Saving Private Ryan (1998)_ (qv), which featured 'Dennis Farina' (qv), who played Jack Crawford in the original Lecter film, _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv).
- Has an estimated fortune of $2.8 billion ($2,800,000,000), according to the "Los Angeles Business Journal". The size of his fortune him the 14th richest person in the Los Angeles area and likely the wealthiest producer-director in the world (with only his friend 'George Lucas (I)' (qv) coming close).
- When he used product placement in _E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)_ (qv), he used Reese's Pieces only because M & M's parent company didn't want their product associated with aliens and UFOs.
- Personally offered the _American Beauty (1999)_ (qv) script to 'Sam Mendes (I)' (qv), who ended up winning the Academy Award for Best Director on the film, which was Mendes's debut feature.