Oct. 3rd, 1978
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Shannyn Sossamon's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Shannon Marie Kahololani Sossamon, popularly known as Shannyn Sossamon (born October 3, 1978), is an American actress and musician. After graduating from high school, she moved to Los Angeles to study dance; instead, she started working as a model mainly for television commercials. Her first major film role was in A Knight's Tale (2001), a box office success that brought Sossamon much more recognition. It was followed by appearances in comedies such as 40 Days and 40 Nights and The Rules of Attraction (both 2002). She did further film work in the features The Order (2003), Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) and The Holiday (2006).
Sossamon, who credits her striking looks to an eclectic mix of French, Hawaiian, Dutch, Irish, Filipino and German was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. At the age of one, Sossamon and her family moved to a new exotic locale: Reno, Nevada. Her youth was spent at a dance studio. At 17, promptly after high school graduation, she left her small town life for a career in dance in Los Angeles. She got distracted and started deejaying as a hobby with her then boyfriend in the local clubs around town. Paying her bills every month were her appearances in commercials.
Acting was not high on the young dancer's priority list, aside from a series of commercials, not for lack of interest but for the fact that she was content with her life in L.A. as it was. It was in 1999, when Sossamon was assisting a friend D.J. at a birthday party for 'Gwyneth Paltrow' that a new chapter began in her fairy tale life. 'Francine Maisler', a casting director known for such films as The Usual Suspects (1995), spotted Sossamon. Shortly thereafter Shannyn found herself with the backing of an influential Hollywood name and one very important audition... A Knight's Tale (2001). She determined she wanted the lead role and after six call backs, beat out the competition. Admittedly, the dancer turned actress knew little of her Australian costar 'Heath Ledger' but the two became friends during filming.
Sossamon dated children's book illustrator and author Dallas Clayton from 2002 to 2004. They had a son, Audio Science Clayton, (born May 29, 2003). Though she admitted not being prepared for having a child, she focused on her pregnancy and motherhood, laying aside acting more or less for the next four years: "I wasn't ready to be a mom. But if you have any desire to be a better person, having a baby kicks it right into gear. Now I'm a better actress and a better mother". In March 2012, she announced that she had given birth to her second son, Mortimer. In 2015, Sossamon stated during an interview with Details magazine that she was in a "committed relationship" with the father of Mortime
- 2002: Was featured as #33 in Maxim Magazine's "Hot 100 of 2002" supplement.
- 2002: Ranked #55 in Stuff magazine's "102 Sexiest Women In The World".
- Beat out 'Kate Hudson (I)' (qv) for the role of Lady Jocelyn in _A Knight's Tale (2001)_ (qv).
- Was with her friend, who deejayed for 'Gwyneth Paltrow' (qv) and 'Jake Paltrow' (qv)'s joint birthday party in Hollywood, when discovered by 'Brian Helgeland' (qv), director of _A Knight's Tale (2001)_ (qv). Was in three commercials before being in the movies.
- Born in Hawaii but grew up in Nevada.
- 5/29/03: Gave birth to her first son, Audio Science Clayton.
- 1995: As an adolescent, she added the "y" in her first name.
- Is of French, Dutch, English, Irish, Hawaiian/Filipino and German descent; her maternal Grandmother is Hawaiian-Filipino, and her maternal Grandfather is English-German.