Apr. 12th, 1971
Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Shannen Doherty's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Shannen Maria Doherty (born April 12, 1971) is an American actress, producer, author, and television director known for her work in Little House on the Prairie, Heathers, Our House, Beverly Hills, 90210, and Charmed.
Doherty was born in Memphis, Tennessee, USA, to parents Tom and Rosa. Her father worked in a bank while her mother owned a beauty parlor. She has an older brother named Sean. In 1978 at the tender age of seven, she and her family moved to Los Angeles, where her father started a West Coast branch of the family transportation business. Shannen has always been close to her family, who disciplined her from a young age. She knew she wanted to pursue an acting career when she made her acting debut at age ten, with a role on the series Father Murphy (1981).
Doherty was a confident student, involving herself in school performances and working hard in school, by making sure she always had exceptional grades. Despite her confidence, she isolated herself from large crowds and preferred to have a few close friends.
She made a name for herself as a child actress at just 11-years-old, starring in Little House on the Prairie (1974) as Jenny Wilder. It was 'Michael Landon' who noticed her performance in an episode of Father Murphy (1981), that he decided to cast her. She then went on to appear in Our House (1986) with 'Deidre Hall' and 'Wilford Brimley'. She also starred alongside 'Sarah Jessica Parker' and 'Helen Hunt' in Girls Just Want to Have Fun (1985) and then in Heathers (1988), a teen comedy also starring 'Winona Ryder'.
Her real success came in 1990, at the age of 19, when she was cast in 'Aaron Spelling' long-running hit series, Beverly Hills, 90210 (1990) as Brenda Walsh, the twin sister of Brandon Walsh, played by 'Jason Priestley'. She attracted media attention from the press and eventually made her a household name. The success of the popular teen drama appealed to young teenage girls who could relate to her character, Brenda Walsh. After four years, she left the show in 1994. Afterward, she continued her work in movies, starring in the thriller Almost Dead (1994) and the comedy Mallrats (1995).
During the fall of 1998, she reunited with long-time producer 'Aaron Spelling', when she was cast as Prue Halliwell on Charmed (1998), a show about three ordinary women who happen to be witches. She starred alongside 'Alyssa Milano' and 'Holly Marie Combs'. After three years, she left the show to find work in movies. Before her departure from the show, she had directed three of the last episodes in which she starred.
She continued her work in movies by starring in Another Day (2001), The Rendering (2002), Hell on Heels: The Battle of Mary Kay (2002), and Nightlight (2003). In 2003, she hosted season one of Scare Tactics (2003) as well as season two with only 8 episodes, and then left to pursue other endeavors.
In the fall of 2004, Shannen made her return to television on Fox's drama series North Shore (2004), where she played Alexandra Hudson, the long-lost sister of Nicole Booth, played by 'Brooke Burns'. Eventually the show was canceled after one season.
Then in 2005, she landed the role of Denise Johnson on the UPN series Love, Inc., however after the pilot episode she was dropped from the sitcom.
In 2006, she starred in her own reality series, Breaking Up with Shannen Doherty (2006).
During 2007, Doherty appeared in a starring role in the holiday film Christmas Caper for ABC Family.
On March 1, 2010, it was announced that Doherty would be a celebrity contestant on Dancing with the Stars for the tenth season. The season premiered on Monday, March 22, 2010. Doherty was paired with two-time champion 'Mark Ballas' in his sixth season on the show, but the pair was the first couple eliminated in the second week on March 30. The judges have said, "Doherty wouldn't have left if we would have just done scores". She wanted to do Dancing with the Stars to make her ailing father proud. Doherty returned for the finale.
On October 11, 1993, Shannen Doherty was married to 'Ashley Hamilton', son of actor 'George Hamilton'; they divorced in April 1994. Her seven-month marriage to 'Rick Salomon' was annulled in 2003. On October 15, 2011, Doherty married 'Kurt Iswarienko' in Malibu. Their wedding planning activities were the subject of the reality TV show Shannen Says.
- Was engaged to 'Max Factor' (qv) fortune heir, Dean Factor, in 1992.
- Auctioning her personal wardrobe worn in many of her on-screen appearances and at Hollywood events selling on eBay auctions and at many boutiques all around Los Angeles, CA [August 2009].
- (12 September 1997) Sentenced to anger-management counseling by the Beverly Hills Municipal Court for an incident that occurred in August 1996; she got into an argument with 22 year old Corey Hanker and smashed a beer bottle on his car window as he tried to drive away from her.
- Her brief marriage to 'Ashley Hamilton' (qv) is referenced in _Mallrats (1995)_ (qv). 'Ben Affleck' (qv)'s character in the film is named Shannon Hamilton.
- On the special, _Beverly Hills 90210: 10-Year High School Reunion (2003) (TV)_ (qv) she revealed that the hardest thing about doing the show was pretending that 'Jason Priestley' (qv), whom she referred to as "being so hot", was her brother. She then revealed that, years later, people often approach her and ask her about the "weird incestuous vibe" between Brandon and Brenda, their characters. She said her response is always "Uh-huh, you better believe it!".
- Beat future _"Charmed" (1998)_ (qv) co-star 'Alyssa Milano' (qv) for the role of Rene in the cult film _Mallrats (1995)_ (qv). 
- Ranked #5 in _"100 Greatest Teen Stars" (2006)_ (qv).
- Listed her Malibu beach home at $4 million. The gated mansion, built in 1976, has five bedrooms and 4 bathrooms in 3,410 square feet. It has an outdoor patio with a waterfall, overlooking an ocean view with 1 acre of park-like grounds and includes a pool and spa .