Feb. 26th, 1979
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Shalim Ortiz's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Shalim Ortiz has just finalized the second season of the hit TV Show "Heroes", where he played a major recurring role (Alejandro Herrera). His performance on the show led him to receive a nomination for the prestigious Imagen Foundation Awards in 2008. He was also in Panama where he was shooting the feature film "Art of Travel," costarring Brooke Burns, Chris Masterson, and Johnny Messner. He released his first film as a lead titled "Spin", in which he performs the title song on the soundtrack ("Rosario'). Ortiz also performed his first leading role in a foreign language film titled Yuniol, which was filmed in the Dominican Republic. This is the first time Shalim and his renowned mother Charytin Goyco work together professionally in a feature film. This film also gave Ortiz his first nomination for the prestigious Casandra Awards held in the Dominican Republic for the 'best actor' category in 2008.
Shalim was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico on February 26. At an early age he moved to Miami, Florida where he developed his skills in music and acting. He later joined the Thespian Society of Performing Arts and developed a passion for theater. Before completing elementary school, he had already been part of a much successful television show called "Los Angelitos" (Little Angels). His desire to branch out led him to take on projects as a guest host in various shows ("Evolution", "Pepsi Charts", etc.), and in modeling.
Theater has always played a main role in Shalim's life, and this is why he took on the lead role on Oliver Mayer's much acclaimed cabaret musical titled 'Roc´┐Żo in Spite of it All'. The prestigious L.A. Times hailed Shalim's performance saying: "silken-voiced Shalim steals several scenes as a dazzled fan who befriends these dueling divas".
Shalim's real passion lays in music, as well as acting. He dedicated himself to write and become a renowned recording artist, delivering two productions (Sony Records) combining his Spanish roots with Latin beats and influences from rock and ballads, which were part of the music he grew up with.
After spending two years in Spain cultivating his artistic muse, the Puerto Rican singer/songwriter returned with Cuarto Sin Puerta, a sterling collection of infectious, hip-swaying confessionals that underscores his rapidly maturing creativity. He is currently working on his awaited third production, which he is sharing with some renowned producers from his first album with the goal of going back to his musical roots.
Parallel with Shalim's music career, he has also guest-starred on several acting roles on network TV Shows such as "Lizzie McGuire", "S-Club 7", and Disney's "Cory in the House" among others. This led Shalim to begin fulfilling his dream of combining his two passions of music and acting.
Shalim's recent projects include the new film titled 'Second Honeymoon', where he co-stars with Teri Polo (Meet the Parents),Jason Priestley (B.H. 90201) and Cheech Marin. Shalim also wrapped as a lead on his first supernatural thriller 'Gurdian', as well as contributing to the score and soundtrack of his upcoming projects.
- Named by People en Espa˝ol in 2008 as one of the most elegant of the year (#5 on the list). The list included A listers such as George Clooney, Javier Bardem and David Beckham.
- Launched his own t-shirt line called Latin Rock Star (LRSTAR) available on-line.
- Has a sister, Sharina, and a brother, Alexander. They are fraternal twins.
- In 2006 he was named one of the 50 most beautiful people by People En Espanol Magazine for the fourth time. (3rd in a row).
- Named four times one of 50 most beautiful people by People Magazine (Spanish) (2001, 2004, 2005, 2006).
- Son of television producer 'Elin Ortiz' (qv) and singer/hostess 'Charytin' (qv).
- Named one of the most beautiful people in the world by People En Espa˝ol in 2008. This is the fifth time Ortiz has been on the prestigious list.
- First self-titled album reached "Gold" in Spain in 2003.