Apr. 14th, 1977
New York City, New York, USA
Sarah Michelle Gellar 's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Sarah Michelle Geller (born April 14, 1977) is an American actress and producer. In 1983, she made her acting debut in the made-for-TV movie An Invasion of Privacy and went on to appear in Spenser: For Hire and Crossbow. Gellar had her first lead part in 1992's mini-series Swans Crossing and originated the role of Kendall Hart on the ABC daytime soap opera All My Children, winning the 1995 Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Younger Actress in a Drama Series.
Gellar was born in New York City. She is the only child of Rosellen (née Greenfield), a nursery school teacher, and Arthur Gellar, a garment worker. Both of her parents were Jewish, though Gellar's family had a Christmas tree during her childhood holidays.
Gellar came to prominence in the late 1990s, landing roles in 1997's horror films I Know What You Did Last Summer and Scream 2. She portrayed Buffy Summers on the WB/UPN TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997-2003), for which she won six Teen Choice Awards, the Saturn Award for Best Genre TV Actress and received a Golden Globe Award nomination for Best Actress – Television Series Drama.
She also gained recognition for her performances as Kathryn Merteuil in Cruel Intentions (1999) and Daphne Blake in Scooby-Doo (2002).After Buffy ended, Gellar starred in the films Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004), The Grudge (2004) and its sequel, The Grudge 2 (2006). She had the starring role in the television drama series Ringer, from 2011 to 2012. Gellar stars in the CBS television sitcom The Crazy Ones with Robin Williams.
In 1984, when she was seven, her parents divorced and she was raised by her mother on the city's Upper East Side. She graduated from Fiorello LaGuardia High School of the Performing Arts in 1995. Gellar was estranged from her father until his death from liver cancer on October 9, 2001. In an early 2000s interview, talking about not having a father figure in her early life, she remarked: "I might have been an immaculate conception. You never know. My father, you can just say, is not in the picture. I'm not being deliberately evasive about him, it's just that there's so little to say. He is not a person who exists in my life. Just because you donate sperm does not make you a father. I don't have a father. I would never give him the credit to acknowledge him as my father".
At four, she was spotted by an agent in a restaurant in Uptown Manhattan. Two weeks later, she auditioned for a part in An Invasion of Privacy, a television film starring 'Valerie Harper', 'Carol Kane' and 'Jeff Daniels'. At the audition, Gellar read both her own lines and those of Harper, impressing the directors enough to cast her in the role. She subsequently appeared in a controversial television commercial for Burger King, in which her character criticized McDonald's and claimed to eat only at Burger King. This led to a lawsuit by McDonald's. As a child, Gellar modeled for magazines.
Gellar met her future husband Freddie Prinze, Jr. during filming of the 1997 teen horror film I Know What You Did Last Summer, but the two did not begin dating until 2000. They were engaged in April 2001 and married in Mexico on September 1, 2002 in a ceremony officiated by 'Adam Shankman', a film director and choreographer with whom Gellar had worked on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Gellar's bridesmaid was her closest friend of many years, 'Lindsay Sloane'. Prinze and Gellar also played each other's respective love interests as Fred and Daphne in the 2002 film Scooby-Doo and its sequel, Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed.
In 2007, Gellar legally changed her name to Sarah Michelle Prinze in honor of the couple's fifth year of marriage.
In 2004, while filming The Grudge in Japan, Gellar visited the Japanese swordsmith Shoji Yoshihara (Kuniie III) and bought a katana from him as a birthday present for her husband. Gellar learned that she needed clearance from the Japanese government to remove the sword from the country and, after eventually succeeding, stated that it was "incredibly difficult" to do.
Gellar and Prinze have two children together: daughter Charlotte Grace Prinze (September 2009), and son Rocky James Prinze (September 2012).
- Tattoos: Celtic symbol on her left hip, Chinese symbol for integrity on her lower back and a heart with a dagger hanging over it tattooed on the inside of her right ankle.
- Daughter-in-law of the late 'Freddie Prinze' (qv) and 'Kathy Prinze' (qv).
- Ranked #1 in FHM magazine's 100 Sexiest Women in the World 1999 and #3 in 2000.
- Her favorite singer is 'Mariah Carey' (qv).
- Has been long time friends with actor 'Seth Green' (qv), and has collaborated with him quite a few times. They can be found together in _Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004)_ (qv), _"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (1997)_ (qv) and _"Robot Chicken" (2005)_ (qv).
- Big fan of Dr. Seuss. Hobbies: collects rare books, especially editions of classic children's literature.
- Director 'Raja Gosnell' (qv) wanted a real life Hollywood couple to play Fred and Daphne in _Scooby-Doo (2002)_ (qv) - Sarah and real life boyfriend 'Freddie Prinze Jr.' (qv) were his first choice.
- Roles considered for: Rogue in _X-Men (2000)_ (qv), Was 'James Toback' (qv)'s first choice to play Cindy Bandolini in _Harvard Man (2001)_ (qv). She was also being talked about starring in _The Dark Knight (2008)_ (qv). It was rumored that she would have been The Joker's minion Harley Quinn, or would have replaced 'Katie Holmes' (qv) as Batman's love interest Rachel Dawes. She was in talks to star as the Ranger in _Quantum Quest: A Cassini Space Odyssey (2009)_ (qv) and she was also in talks to star as _Alice (2010)_ (qv). She was considered to star for the lead role of _Wonder Woman (2011)_ (qv) in a proposed film by Warner Brothers. She was 'Charles Randolph (II)' (qv)'s first choice as Alice Maladay in his HBO series titled _The Wonderful Maladys (2010) (TV)_ (qv).