Dec. 21st, 1948
Washington, District of Columbia, USA
Samuel L. Jackson's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Samuel L. Jackson usually played bad guys and drug addicts before becoming an action hero, as the character Mitch Henessey, in The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996) and in Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995). From character player to leading man. His performance in Pulp Fiction (1994) gave him an Oscar nomination for his character Jules Winnfield. He was active in the black student movement. In the seventies he joined the Negro Ensemble Company (together with Morgan Freeman). In the eighties he became well known by three movies made by Spike Lee Do the Right Thing (1989), Mo' Better Blues (1990) and Jungle Fever (1991). He received a Silver Berlin Bear for his part in the movie Jackie Brown (1997) as Ordell Robbi.
- Gave his consent for Marvel Comics to design their "Ultimate" version of the character Nick Fury after his likeness. He later went on to play Nick Fury in _Iron Man (2008)_ (qv).
- His characters often feature the color purple: Mitch Hennessy wore a purple-violet gem ring in "The Long Kiss Goodnight" (1996), Mr. Glass wore purple clothing in _Unbreakable (2000)_ (qv); Jackson chose to have Doyle Gipson wear a purple hat in _Changing Lanes (2002)_ (qv); Mace Windu, upon request by Jackson to 'George Lucas (I)' (qv), wielded a purple light saber in _Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002)_ (qv) and _Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)_ (qv); and Lazarus, his character in _Black Snake Moan (2006)_ (qv), plays a purple Gibson guitar.
- (January 2002) Daughter Zoe attends Vassar College.
- Accomplished at playing brass instruments (french horn, trumpet) in school symphony orchestras from grade 3 to grade 12.
- In real life was once a NY highrise doorman, in "1408" (2007) was a NY highrise manager.
- Was the first choice for "Fallon" in _Judgment Night (1993)_ (qv).
- His character from _Pulp Fiction (1994)_ (qv), Jules Winnfield, ranked second in the 'coolest movie characters of all time', in a poll by the UK's Empire Magazine (the winner was Tyler Durden of _Fight Club (1999)_ (qv)).
- Has the rare distinction of having played characters that have been eaten by both a shark and a dinosaur.