Sep. 14th, 1947
Omagh, Northern Ireland
Sam Neill's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Nigel John Dermot "Sam" Neill, DCNZM OBE is a New Zealand actor, writer, producer, director and vineyard proprietor.
Born in Omagh, Northern Ireland, he moved to Christchurch, New Zealand, with his family in 1954. Neill first achieved recognition with his appearance in the 1977 film Sleeping Dogs, which he followed with leading roles in My Brilliant Career (1979), Omen III: The Final Conflict, Possession (both 1981), A Cry in the Dark (1988), Dead Calm (1989), The Hunt For Red October (1990), and The Piano (1993). He came to international prominence as Dr. Alan Grant in Jurassic Park (1993).
Outside of film, Neill has appeared in numerous television series, including Reilly, Ace of Spies (1983), The Simpsons (1994), Merlin (1998), The Tudors (2007), Crusoe (2008–2010), Happy Town (2010), Alcatraz (2012), Peaky Blinders (2013–2014) and Rick and Morty (2019). He has presented and narrated several documentaries.
Neill is the recipient of the Longford Lyell Award and the New Zealand Film Award and also the Logie Award for Most Outstanding Actor. He has three Golden Globe and two Primetime Emmy Award nominations.
- Met wife 'Noriko Watanabe (I)' (qv) on the set of _Dead Calm (1989)_ (qv), where she worked as a make-up artist.
- Owns a winery, Two Paddocks, in the Central Otago region of New Zealand. It was started in 1993.
- Born to Dermot Neill, a New Zealand army officer, and his English wife Priscilla.
- Montana is a recurring element in his films: in _The Hunt for Red October (1990)_ (qv) he wants to live in Montana; in _The Horse Whisperer (1998)_ (qv) he goes to Montana to find with his wife; in _Jurassic Park (1993)_ (qv) he is digging up fossils in Montana.
- Moved to New Zealand at age 7.
- Was considered for the role of the villainous "Doc Ock" in _Spider-Man 2 (2004)_ (qv). His wife ended up as the principal make-up & hair stylist for 'Kirsten Dunst' (qv) in the movie.
- One of the original candidates for the fourth and fifth actor to portray James Bond - 007 in _The Living Daylights (1987)_ (qv) and _GoldenEye (1995)_ (qv). 'Timothy Dalton' (qv) and 'Pierce Brosnan' (qv) ended up as James Bond, respectively.
- Studied at the University of Canterbury and at the Victoria University in Wellington, from which he graduated with a BA in English Literature.