Sep. 14th, 1947
Omagh, Northern Ireland, UK
Sam Neill's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Nigel John Dermot "Sam" Neill, DCNZM, OBE is a Northern Irish-born New Zealand actor who first achieved leading roles in films such as Omen III: The Final Conflict and Dead Calm and on television in Reilly, Ace of Spies.
- Met wife 'Noriko Watanabe (I)' (qv) on the set of _Dead Calm (1989)_ (qv), where she worked as a make-up artist.
- Owns a winery, Two Paddocks, in the Central Otago region of New Zealand. It was started in 1993.
- Awarded the O.B.E. for Service to Acting (1993).
- Good friends with musicians 'Neil Finn' (qv), 'Tim Finn (I)' (qv) and 'Jimmy Barnes (II)' (qv).
- He is one of the three founders of Huntaway Films, along with his good friends 'John Clarke (II)' (qv) and 'Jay Cassells' (qv).
- He is a big fan of 'The Beach Boys' (qv).
- One of the original candidates for the fourth and fifth actor to portray James Bond - 007 in _The Living Daylights (1987)_ (qv) and _GoldenEye (1995)_ (qv). 'Timothy Dalton' (qv) and 'Pierce Brosnan' (qv) ended up as James Bond, respectively.
- Studied at the University of Canterbury and at the Victoria University in Wellington, from which he graduated with a BA in English Literature.