52 (passed away Dec. 6th, 1988)
Apr. 23rd, 1936
Vernon, Texas, USA
Roy Orbison's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
- In 1966 his wife, Claudette, died in a motor-cycle accident. Two years later two of his sons were killed in a housefire.
- Was known to insist his backup performers give their best at every performance. Reportedly, one night while touring in Florida he dismissed his regular band (called the Candy Men, after an early hit), then invited the opening group, the Webs, to join him on tour, adopting the Candy Men name. One member of the Webs was singer/songwriter 'Bobby Goldsboro' (qv).
- First saw 'Elvis Presley' (qv) in concert in 1955. Next year Presley was in his concert and entered in backstage. Orbison kept telling about Elvis' visit to his friends.
- Teamed up with 'Bob Dylan' (qv), Beatle 'George Harrison (I)' (qv), 'Jeff Lynne' (qv) from 'Electric Light Orchestra' (qv) and 'Tom Petty' (qv) in the group The Travelling Wilburys.
- Recorded many of his most famous hits from the 1950s with legendary guitarist 'Hank Garland' (qv).
- Elected to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987. Elected to the American Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1989.
- Rerecorded many of his classic hits in 1987 to critical and commercial success.
- Scored his first minor hit in 1956 with "Ooby Dooby".
Related sites for this celeb