Sep. 5th, 1973
Florence, Tuscany, Italy
Rose McGowan's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Rose Arianna McGowan (born September 5, 1973) is an Italian-born American actress and singer.
Born to Terri and Daniel McGowan (both of French and Irish origin, respectively), McGowan is the second eldest of six siblings. She was raised, until the age of nine, within the Italian chapter of the Children of God; an extremist Christian, anti-American cult. During the early 1980s, her family severed ties with the community and migrated to Eugene, Oregon, USA. Following her parents divorce, McGowan relocated to Gig Harbour, Washington, to live with her grandmother.
At age 14, McGowan was falsely accused of drug abuse by a family friend and committed to drug rehabilitation. She has consistently maintained that the decision was unjustified, and detrimental to her mental health. Upon release, she spent a year as a disadvantaged youth before legally declaring independence from her family at age 15.
McGowan early formal education includes attendance at Roosevelt High School and Nova Alternative High School. Further education includes a stint at UCLA, and qualifications as a licensed beauty operator.
McGowan's career as an actor sincerely began in 1995, with a leading role in The Doom Generation (1995). Originally intended for 'Jordan Ladd', the character of Amy Blue was awarded to McGowan, whose presence outside a gym captured the eye of an associate of director 'Gregg Araki'. For her performance, she was nominated at the 1995 Independant Spirit Awards for Best Debut Performance. Subsequently cast in 'Wes Craven' Scream (1996), she experienced further success when the project defied expectations to became one of the highest grossing films of the year. The innovative, yet soft-sounding, career of McGowan was overshadowed throughout much of the 1990s by her high-profile relationship with musician 'Brian Warner' (a.k.a.) 'Marilyn Manson'.
Strong performances in Going All the Way (1997), Lewis & Clark & George (1997), Southie (1998), and Jawbreaker (1999) were largely unseen by the general public, who favored mean-spirited tabloid blurbs over her creative exploits. When the relationship ended between the two in 2001, she remarked: "There is great love, but our lifestyle difference is, unfortunately, even greater". Immediately, the quality of McGowan's roles further improved. She performed solidly alongside 'Alan Alda' in The Killing Yard (2001), shone with 'Robert Forster' in Strange Hearts (2001), and was appropriately demure in Stealing Bess (aka "Vacuums" (2002).
She was introduced to the mainstream as Paige Matthews in 'Aaron Spelling' Charmed (1998), a popular television show for which she devoted five consecutive years. When Charmed finished its run in 2006, McGowan emerged in top form. Critics praised her efforts in 'Robert Rodriguez' Planet Terror (2007), 'Quentin Tarantino' Death Proof (2007), and her turn as Grace Sterrin in Fifty Dead Men Walking (2008) exemplified her potential as a leading dramatic actress. She starred in the fantasy epic Red Sonja (2010).
There was speculation that McGowan was dating director 'Robert Rodriguez'. In May 2007, it was reported that they confirmed their relationship while appearing hand-in-hand at the Cannes Film Festival. On October 12, 2007, it was announced by Zap2it.com that McGowan was engaged to Rodriguez. They planned to wed in 2009, but reportedly split (October 2, 2009). After one year of dating, McGowan became engaged to artist Davey Detail in July 2013. They married (October 12, 2013) in Los Angeles. In 2013, she played young Cora in a flashback in the show Once Upon A Time.
- (1998-2001) Was engaged to 'Marilyn Manson' (qv).
- She won the role of Tatum Riley in _Scream (1996/I)_ (qv) after 'Melinda Clarke' (qv) turned it down. Coincidentally, the two would later work together when Clarke guest starred on _"Charmed" (1998)_ (qv) in October 2002.
- Played the character Tatum Riley in _Scream (1996/I)_ (qv), best friend of Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell), her character Paige Matthews lives at 1329 Prescott Street, the address of Halliwell Manor on _"Charmed" (1998)_ (qv).
- (June 2001) The WB network announced that she would be playing Paige Matthews, the long-lost, baby half-sister of Prue, Piper and Phoebe on the hit series _"Charmed" (1998)_ (qv). She was cast after 'Shannen Doherty' (qv), who played eldest sister Prue Halliwell, was fired when she refused to sign a two-year contract extension.
- (2008) Engaged to 'Robert Rodriguez (I)' (qv).
- She is of French and Irish descent.
- Ranked #14 on Wizard magazine's 'Sexiest Women of TV' list (March 2008).
- Ranked #44 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2007 list.