Sep. 23rd, 1957
Anaheim, California, USA
Rosalind Chao's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Rosalind Chao (born 23 September 1957; age 52) is an actress best known for her portrayal of Keiko O'Brien (nee Ishikawa) in Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. (While the character of Keiko is a Japanese national, the actress Chao is Chinese-American.) Chao appeared in eight episodes of Next Generation and nineteen episodes of Deep Space Nine.
Chao has remained friends with Colm Meaney and attended his wedding in Beverly Hills on 15 March 2007. At Grand Slam XV, Meaney said "It was lovely having my TV wife at my wedding". 
Her first major acting role was in the 1972 television series Anna and the King, in which she played Princess Serena.
She played Soon-Lee Klinger in the penultimate and final episodes of M*A*S*H with David Ogden Stiers. She would reprise the role in the short-lived spinoff, AfterMASH.
Chao also had recurring roles on other popular series, such as Diff'rent Strokes, in which she played Miss Chung, and Falcon Crest in which she played Li Ying. More recently, she has had recurring roles on 10-8: Officers on Duty, Six Feet Under and The O.C.
In 1987, she appeared in the series Max Headroom, along with Matt Frewer, Concetta Tomei, George Coe, Andreas Katsulas and W. Morgan Sheppard and the late Charles Rocket. In 2001, she played a midwife in a pivotal episode of Once And Again (with William O. Campbell and Paul Dooley.)
Chao has also made appearances in many successful films, including The Joy Luck Club (co-starring France Nuyen), What Dreams May Come (featuring Scott Trimble), I Am Sam (which also featured her TNG co-star Brent Spiner), and Freaky Friday (featuring Willie Garson).
In 2005, she starred in Just Like Heaven (with fellow TNG and DS9 guest star Ron Canada) and in Life of the Party (with VOY guest star David Clennon). Recently, she has made guest appearances on the HBO drama series Tell Me You Love Me. Ronny Cox has also appeared on that series.
Chao is married to actor and fellow TNG guest star Simon Templeman.
- Her ethnicity is Chinese
- Has a son and daughter.
- Turned down the chance to work full-time on _"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993)_ (qv) so that she could spend more time with her family. But, she instead agreed to do recurring roles in episodes each season.
- Made her first appearance at a Star Trek Convention in August 2005 at Vegas Con.
- Her parents ran a successful restaurant near Disneyland.
- Along with 'Michael Dorn (I)' (qv), 'Marc Alaimo' (qv), 'Jeffrey Combs' (qv), 'John DE Lancie', 'Jonathan Frakes' (qv) and 'Tim Russ' (qv), she is one of only seven actors to appear in at least ten different seasons of "Star Trek": _"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ (qv) Seasons Four through Six and _"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993)_ (qv) Seasons One through Seven.
- Is the wife of well-known voice actor 'Simon Templeman' (qv), who is best known for voicing the character "Kain" in the Legacy of Kain video game series.
- Rosalind's father encouraged her to audition for what would be her first television role on the 70s TV sitcom _"Here's Lucy" (1968)_ (qv).
Related sites for this celeb