Aug. 20th, 1947
Akron, Ohio, USA
Ray Wise's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Ray Wise was born in Akron, Ohio, graduated high school from Garfield High School (Akron, Ohio) in 1964 and attended Kent State University in Kent, Ohio. He is of Romanian descent on his mother's side. He grew up in a religious family, during his childhood he went to a Romanian Baptist church in Akron, OH, and later he moved to a Methodist church.
Wise is best known for his role as Laura Palmer's father Leland in Twin Peaks. In the late sixties and seventies, Wise played attorney Jamie Rollins on the soap opera, Love of Life for seven years and nearly 950 episodes. He played the character of Dr. Alec Holland in the 1982 film Swamp Thing, directed by Wes Craven and based upon the comic book series of the same name. Dr. Holland is the man who becomes the titular character after his lab is destroyed and he is left for dead. The actual Swamp Thing character was played by Dick Durock. In 1985, Wise played Sol Gann, father to Natty Gann in The Journey of Natty Gann, directed by Jeremy Paul Kagan.
In 1987, Wise played Tom Gunther, Catherine Chandler's boyfriend, in the pilot episode of the TV series Beauty and the Beast. In addition to Twin Peaks, Wise has played several roles in science fiction. He played the harried dad in the horror film Dead End. He made an appearance as Liko in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Who Watches the Watchers", and later played Arturis in the Star Trek: Voyager episode "Hope and Fear".
- Has portrayed both the President of the United States in the game _Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 (2001) (VG)_ (qv), and the Vice-President of the United States in the show _"24" (2001)_ (qv).
- (1999) Volunteered his time to make _Pennyweight (1999)_ (qv), a short film shot in Portland, Maine.
- Was in two movies that opened in the U.S. on the same weekend - _The Battle of Shaker Heights (2003)_ (qv) and _Jeepers Creepers II (2003)_ (qv) (August 29, 2003 - Labor Day Weekend).
- Lives in Glendale, California.
- Brother-in-law of music editor 'Tass Filipos' (qv).
- With TV commercials producer 'Kass McClaskey' (qv), he has a son 'Gannon McClaskey Wise' (qv) (born 1985) and a daughter 'Kyna Wise' (qv) (born 1987).
- Engaged to Julie Burr, daughter of actor Robert Burr, in 1974.