May. 16th, 1953
Navan, Co. Meath, Ireland
Pierce Brosnan's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Pierce Brosnan was born in Navan, County Meath, Ireland on May 16, 1953 and lived in Navan, County Meath until he moved to England, UK at an early age. His father left the household when Pierce was a child and although reunited later in life, the two have never had a close relationship. His most popular role is that of British secret agent James Bond. The death, in 1991, of Cassandra Harris, his wife of eleven years, left him with three children - Christopher and Charlotte from Cassandra's first marriage and Sean from their marriage. Since her death, he has had two children with his second wife, Keely Shaye Smith.
- His mother, May, was 19 when she gave birth to him. She had married his father, Thomas, on August 16, 1952. However, his parents separated when he was still a baby, and from the age of 4 he was raised by his maternal grandparents, Philip and Kathleen Smith, while his mother went to London to train as a nurse. When he was 6, both grandparents died and he was passed around amongst relatives until Eileen Reilly took him into her lodging house. Finally, when he was 10, his mother was able to take him to her home in Putney, London. While in London, May had met a man, named Bill Carmichael, who had asked her to marry him, but she wanted approval from her son. Pierce gave his approval and the couple were married. From that point on, Bill treated Pierce as his real son and they got along fine. It was Bill who took Pierce to see his first Bond movie, _Goldfinger (1964)_ (qv), and it was at that point that decided to take up acting.
- Nicknamed "Colonel Chunky" by the crew on _Mamma Mia! (2008)_ (qv).
- Owns his own production company, Irish DreamTime. Its first release was _The Nephew (1998)_ (qv).
- Brosnan's Bond was mainly dressed with shirts and ties from Turnbull & Asser, shoes from Church's, and suits from the Italian company Brioni. The cuff links and the belts were mostly Dunhill's.
- In addition to playing a small role in _The Broken Chain (1993) (TV)_ (qv), actor 'Girard Swan' (qv) briefly worked as Brosnan's stand-in.
- He was voted sixth in the Orange 2001 film survey of greatest British film actors ever.
- In addition to his salary for his James Bond movies, Brosnan received a car. The BMW Z3 from _GoldenEye (1995)_ (qv), an 8-series BMW (instead of the 750iL) from _Tomorrow Never Dies (1997)_ (qv), and the Z8 from _The World Is Not Enough (1999)_ (qv).
- He says that his favorite Bond films are _From Russia with Love (1963)_ (qv) and _For Your Eyes Only (1981)_ (qv), and that his least favorite Bond film is _On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)_ (qv).