Jul. 13th, 1940
Mirfield, Yorkshire, England, UK
Patrick Stewart's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born Mirfield, Yorkshire, England. Member of various local drama groups from about age 12. Left school at 15 to work as junior reporter on local paper; quit when Editor told him he was spending too much time at the theatre and not enough working. Spent a year as furniture salesman, saving cash to attend drama school. Accepted by Bristol Old Vic Theatre School in 1957. Professional debut 1959 in Repertory in Lincoln; work at Manchester Library Theatre and a tour round the world with the Old Vic Company followed in the early 60s. Joined Royal Shakespeare Company in 1966, to begin 27-year association. Following a spell with the Royal National Theatre in the mid 80s, he went to Los Angeles to star in Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987), which ran from 1987-1994, playing the role of Captain Jean-Luc Picard. He plans to return to theatre work on the end of this series.
- Even though his French character on _"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ (qv) has an British accent, he has told fans that Jean-Luc Picard was raised by an English nanny. An in-joke, as 'William Shatner' (qv)'s Québecois French accent as James T. Kirk can be heard sometimes.
- Has appeared in two completely different, unrelated productions with 'Clive Revill' (qv) about Robin Hood: _"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ (qv) and _Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993)_ (qv).
- Is a fan of _"Red Dwarf" (1988)_ (qv).
- Along with 'Hugh Jackman' (qv), he is one of only two actors to appear in all four "X-Men" films: _X-Men (2000)_ (qv), X2 (2003)_, _X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)_ (qv) and _X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)_ (qv).
- London Fringe Theatre Best Actor Award 1986, for role of George in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" at the Young Vic.
- He was awarded the OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2000 Queen's Millennium Honours list for his services to acting and the cinema.
- US TV Guide -- voted "Most Bodacious" male on TV 1993.
- Has appeared with 'Kelsey Grammer' (qv) in three different productions: _"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ (qv), _"Frasier" (1993)_ (qv) and _X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)_ (qv).