Jul. 13th, 1940
Mirfield, Yorkshire, England, UK
Patrick Stewart's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born Mirfield, Yorkshire, England. Member of various local drama groups from about age 12. Left school at 15 to work as junior reporter on local paper; quit when Editor told him he was spending too much time at the theatre and not enough working. Spent a year as furniture salesman, saving cash to attend drama school. Accepted by Bristol Old Vic Theatre School in 1957. Professional debut 1959 in Repertory in Lincoln; work at Manchester Library Theatre and a tour round the world with the Old Vic Company followed in the early 60s. Joined Royal Shakespeare Company in 1966, to begin 27-year association. Following a spell with the Royal National Theatre in the mid 80s, he went to Los Angeles to star in Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987), which ran from 1987-1994, playing the role of Captain Jean-Luc Picard. He plans to return to theatre work on the end of this series.
- He is the new Chancellor of the University of Huddersfield, England and made his first official visit to the University on Wednesday 10 March 2004.
- He was originally the narrator of _The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)_ (qv). However, director 'Tim Burton (I)' (qv) decided to cut most of the narration and also changed the voice. Stewart's original recording can be heard in 'Danny Elfman' (qv)'s soundtrack because Elfman liked Stewart's reading better.
- Has appeared with 'Kelsey Grammer' (qv) in three different productions: _"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ (qv), _"Frasier" (1993)_ (qv) and _X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)_ (qv).
- New York Theater Critics Drama Desk Award for Best Solo Performance 1993, for "A Christmas Carol" at the Broadhurst
- Is a fan of F1. He attended the 2003 British Grand Prix, and has taken part in several celebrity car races.
- (16 December 1996) Awarded his own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- Actress 'Teryl Rothery' (qv), who co-starred with Stewart in _Masterminds (1997)_ (qv) has a long time crush on the actor, which she often speaks of during convention appearances.
- Is a huge fan of the comic "Transmetropolitan". He even did a foreword for this comic explaining how he enjoys the main characters brutality and hostility towards this world as a desire that we all sometimes feel.