67 (passed away Jul. 17th, 2004)
May. 19th, 1937
Birmingham, England, UK
Pat Roach's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Proud and passionate Englishman, Pat Roach, was born and raised in Birmingham, England and grew to be a mountain of a man standing at 6'5" inches tall, with doorway wide shoulders and a barrel chest.
Pat wrestled competitively under the name of "Bomber" Roach, and at one time held both the British and European Heavyweight Wrestling Championships! Whilst still in the wrestling game, Roach broke into acting with a bit part in the Stanley Kubrick film Barry Lyndon (1975). He quickly became popular as an enforcer or warrior figure and appeared onscreen with some of Hollywood's biggest names. Many people would remember him as the muscle bound, bald German guard who hands out a fist beating to Harrison Ford (I) in Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), before being cut down by a spinning plane propeller.
In other film roles, Roach nearly eliminates 007 Sean Connery in the Bond film Never Say Never Again (1983), in dual roles as a resurrected demon and as a fierce warrior, he fought Arnold Schwarzenegger in the Conan sequel Conan the Destroyer (1984), and was back as a ferocious Indian guard pummeling poor Harrison Ford (I) once again in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984), before falling into a rock crusher!
He also appeared in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989), Red Sonja (1985) and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991). Apart from his film activities, Pat ran a gymnasium in Birmingham, operated a used appliance business in the local markets and was known as a warm-hearted and genial man who was happy to chat with admiring fans, sign autographs and pose for photos.
Roach was also very popular with English TV audiences for his portrayal of gentle giant "Brian 'Bomber' Busbridge" in the series "Auf Wiedersehen, Pet" (1983) and was scheduled to appear in the fourth series of the show, when he passed away from cancer on July 17th, 2004. He was 67 years old.
- Is a former professional wrestler, competing under the name Pat 'Bomber' Roach.
- Along with 'Arnold Schwarzenegger' (qv) and 'Sven-Ole Thorsen' (qv), he is one of few actors who has been in three movies based on the writings of 'Robert E. Howard' (qv).
- Was offered the chance to train 'Harrison Ford (I)' (qv) for the second Indiana Jones film but turned it down saying he "didn't want to be known as a trainer".
- He appears in all three Indiana Jones films playing four different roles.
- Was appointed director of operations for the British wrestling association FWA (Frontier Wrestling Association) at FWA New Frontiers (8th February 2003.) Maintained a behind-the-scenes role with the company until his death, although New Frontiers was his only appearance with the FWA.
- Besides 'Harrison Ford (I)' (qv), he is the only actor to appear in all of the first three "Indiana Jones" films (_Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)_ (qv), _Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)_ (qv) and _Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)_ (qv)).
- Roach usually plays tough characters, due to his stature and physique.
- Auditioned for the role of Darth Vader in 1976.
Related sites for this celeb