Oct. 5th, 1975
Leicester, Leicestershire, England, UK
Parminder Nagra's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Parminder Kaur Nagra (born October 5, 1975) is a British film and television actress. She played Jess in the 2002 film Bend It Like Beckham, Dr Neela Rasgotra in the NBC medical drama ER from 2003 to 2009 and Dr. Lucy Banerjee in the short-lived Fox science fiction drama Alcatraz in 2012. In 2013, she began a recurring role as Rachel in the USA Network police comedy-drama Psych, and began starring as Meera Malik in the NBC crime drama The Blacklist.
Born in Leicester, England, as the eldest child of Sukha and Nashuter Nagra, Sikh factory workers who emigrated from the Punjab region of India in the 1960s. Nagra attended the Northfield House Primary School in Leicester. At her comprehensive school, Soar Valley College, she played viola in the youth orchestra and also appeared in her first theatrical productions. A few months after sitting her A-levels and leaving school, Nagra was approached by her former drama instructor, Jez Simons, about becoming part of the Leicester-based theatre company Haithizi Productions, for which he served as the artistic director. She accepted and was cast as a chorus member in the 1994 musical Nimai presented at the Leicester Haymarket. Only a week into rehearsals, she was switched from the chorus to replace the lead actress, who had dropped out.
While on the set of the Fair Ladies at a Game of Poem Cards, she met Irish actor Kieran Creggan with whom she later moved into a flat in Kennington, South London. They dated for five years.
On January 17, 2009, Nagra married photographer James Stenson, after a seven year relationship. Her ER co-stars 'Scott Grimes' and 'John Stamos' performed at the ceremony, and her friend and former ER co-star 'Maura Tierny' officiated over the ceremony. She gave birth to their son Kai David Singh Stenson (May 19, 2009). On (February 8, 2012), it was reported that Nagra had filed for divorce.
Nagra had the honour of being a torch bearer as the Olympic torch passed through London on its way to the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens.
- Mother of Kai David Singh Stenson who was born on Tuesday, May 19, 2009.
- A portrait of Nagra painted by Stuart Pearson Wright hangs in London's National Portrait Gallery.
- Born the same day and year as 'Kate Winslet' (qv).
- Her parents emigrated from India to the UK in the '60s.
- In _Bend It Like Beckham (2002)_ (qv), her character Jess' scar was actually not part of the original script. It was added in based on a real scar Nagra has on her leg. Her pants caught fire when she was young, she was placed in a tub of water so the fabric stuck to the skin. When the fabric was removed it pulled a great deal of skin with it, causing the scarring.
- She has three younger siblings.
- Her father is a bookkeeper and her mother works in a factory.
- On 11 July 2007 she was awarded an Honorary DLitt (Doctor of Letters) from Leicester University. Leicester is her home town.