Feb. 11th, 1982
Reading, England, UK
Natalie Dormer's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Natalie Dormer (born 11 February 1982 in Reading, Berkshire, England, UK) is an English actress. She is best known for her role as the ill-fated Tudor queen, Anne Boleyn in the Showtime series The Tudors.
Dormer attended Chiltern Edge Secondary School, before moving to Reading Blue Coat School, an independent boys' boarding school that admitted girls in the sixth form. She grew up with her stepfather, mother, sister Samantha and brother Mark. She suffered from bullying problems during her childhood, and it's something she "still can't place today."
During her school years she trained in dance at the Allenova School of Dancing. She describes herself as the 'academic hopeful' of the family and was due to read history at university, but instead decided to train at the Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art in London. She is also a member of the London Fencing Academy.
A self-proclaimed poker lover, Dormer took part in the 2008 PartyPoker.com Women's World Open in London, where she came second in the Celebrity Heat.
Dormer made her film debut as Victoria in Casanova with Heath Ledger. After this performance, she secured a three-film deal with Disney Touchstone which was never exercised.
In 2007 and 2008 she played Anne Boleyn in the first two seasons of The Tudors, for which she received positive reviews. Dormer's ancestor is Jane Dormer, a lady in waiting to Mary I, the real Boleyn's estranged stepdaughter. Jane Dormer's memoirs contain some evidence on the real Boleyn's age, which is still a source of much academic dispute.
In 2008 she played Moira Nicholson in Miss Marple: Why Didn't They Ask Evans? and appears in a number of forthcoming films: Fence Walker, Flying Lessons and City of Life. Dormer's Marple appearance aired in the US in the summer of 2009 as part of PBS' Masterpiece Mystery anthology series.
- Enjoys fencing as a sport, and is a member of the London Fencing Academy.
- Is a mezzo soprano singer.
- Her role in "Casanova" was originally written to be much smaller. But Natalie so impressed director Lasse Hallstrom, he expanded her part, and also injected more humor into the role once he realized how well Natalie handled comedy.
- Trained at the Webber Douglas Academy in London whose alumni include 'Rupert Friend' (qv), 'Matthew Goode' (qv), 'Hugh Bonneville' (qv) and 'Minnie Driver' (qv).
- On the basis of her performance in Casanova, Natalie has a three picture deal with Disney/Touchstone.
- Speaks French.