Dec. 28th, 1977
South Dakota, USA
Michael Spears' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Spears was born in Lower Brule Reservation, South Dakota to Native American parents and lived there until he was in fifth grade. He is a member of the Sicangu Lakota (often called "Sioux") Lower Brule Tribe of South Dakota.
Spears's film credits include a major role as the character Dog Star in the 2005 Steven Spielberg-produced cable mini-series, Into the West, which aired on TNT.
His debut role as the child character Otter, in the Academy-Award-winning 1990 film Dances with Wolves, also earned him national notice at thirteen years old. By the age of 17, Spears had acted in both TV and film with other actors, including Kevin Costner, Jimmy Smits and Kim Delaney. His younger brother Eddie is also an actor, with both movie and TV credits.
Spears is an accomplished hand drum player and singer, often performing at native American "pow-wow" gatherings and in non-tribal venues (he was the opening act for Rita Coolidge and Friends at her 2005 concert in Great Falls, Montana). Michael often travels as a celebrity speaker concentrating on inspirational and educational topics including sustainable energy, and mentors youth in South Dakota. He works with his father and brother as part of the Inter-Tribal Group, whose goal is to encourage creation of "natural" sustainable energy sources.
He can speak Lakota but is not fluent. Michael first learned from his father and grandfather, and is continuing to learn. During the filming of Into the West he (and the other actors) had lessons from a linguist.
In 2007 he was preparing for the release of the movie, Imprint, in which he portrays Tom Grey Horse, a tribal police officer. Also in 2007 he filmed a movie Shadowheart, the cast also includes William Sadler, Christian Fortune, and Devin Brochu, with Angus MacFadyen, which was released on August 4, 2009.
As per an article in Distinctly Montana, dated Fall 2006, Michael’s “love in his life is an Italian-American beauty with just a hint of Dine Cherokee” – they are not married and have 2 sons together. He has 2 other children- Jasmin and Noah from previous relationships,but their mother’s identity is not given.
- His favorite actor is 'Brad Pitt' (qv).
- Has 5 brothers and 1 sister.
- Can speak Lakota but is not fluent in it.
- Favorte Sports: Football, basketball, wrestling, track, horseback riding (western & bareback), archery, boxing, tae kwon do.
- Brother of 'Eddie Spears' (qv).
- He is a member of the Lakota Sioux Lower Brule Tribe of South Dakota.
- He attended and was a mentor at the 2nd annual HatcH audiovisual festival in Bozeman, Montana, in October 2005. HatcH is a film and arts festival whose mission is to provide mentorship, education, inspiration, and recognition to the next generation of creative innovators.
- Formerly in a band called Bad Nations.
Related sites for this celeb