Jun. 22nd, 1949
Summit, New Jersey, USA
Meryl Streep's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Considered by many movie reviewers to be the greatest living film actress, 'Meryl Streep' has been nominated for the Academy Award an astonishing 15 times, and has won it twice. Born Mary Louise Streep in 1949 in Summit, New Jersey, Meryl's early performing ambitions leaned toward the opera. She became interested in acting while a student at Vassar and upon graduation she enrolled in the Yale School of Drama. She gave an outstanding performance in her first film role, Julia (1977), and the next year she was nominated for her first Oscar for her role in The Deer Hunter (1978). She went on to win the Academy Award for her performances in Kramer vs. Kramer (1979) and Sophie's Choice (1982), in which she gave a heart-wrenching portrayal of an inmate mother in a Nazi death camp.
A perfectionist in her craft and meticulous and painstaking in her preparation for her roles, Meryl turned out a string of highly acclaimed performances over the next 10 years in great films like Silkwood (1983), Out of Africa (1985), Ironweed (1987), and Evil Angels (1988). Her career declined slightly in the early 1990s as a result of her inability to find suitable parts, but she shot back to the top in 1995 with her performance as Clint Eastwood's married lover in The Bridges of Madison County (1995) and as the prodigal daughter in Marvin's Room (1996). In 1998 she made her first venture into the area of producing, and was the executive producer for the moving ...First Do No Harm (1997). A realist when she talks about her future years in film, she remarked that "...no matter what happens, my work will stand..."
- Occasionally mistaken for friend 'Glenn Close' (qv), Streep was pregnant with her fourth child while shopping in a Los Angeles baby store where the staff lavished her with huge amounts of baby paraphernalia. Just as she was about to leave they whispered, "We loved you in _Fatal Attraction (1987)_ (qv)".
- Has said she is a great fan of actor Leonardo DiCaprio.
- Currently holds the record for most Oscar nominations for acting (15 total), including both actors and actresses.
- Nominated for a 2007 Drama Desk Award for her performance in "Mother Courage and Her Children" (Outstanding Actress in a Play).
- Donated her wardrobe from _The Devil Wears Prada (2006)_ (qv) to a charity auction.
- Acting career began on the stage.
- Sister-in-law of 'Maeve Kinkead' (qv).
- Mentioned by first name only (with two-time co-star 'Jack Nicholson' (qv)) in 'Michael Crichton' (qv)'s 2004 novel "State of Fear.".