Dec. 12th, 1970
Sparks, Nevada, USA
Mädchen Amick's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Mädchen Amick (born December 12, 1970) is an American actress, best known for playing Shelly Johnson on the cult television series Twin Peaks and its 1992 prequel film Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me.
Amick was born in Sparks, Nevada, a few miles east of Reno, Nevada, the daughter of Judy, a medical office manager, and Bill Amick, a musician. Amick's parents are German; the name Mädchen ( [ˈmɛːtçən ] ), which means "girl" or "maiden" in German, was chosen by her parents because they wanted an unusual name. As a young girl, Amick was encouraged by her parents to follow her creative instincts. She learned to play the piano, bass, violin and guitar and took lessons in tap, ballet, jazz and modern dance. In 1987, at the age of 16, she moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in acting.
After moving to L.A., Amick appeared on Star Trek: The Next Generation as well as in The Borrower (1991). Amick got her first break when director 'David Lynch' chose her to play waitress Shelly Johnson on the TV series Twin Peaks. Amick's character endured terrible abuse at the hands of her husband, Leo, and was one of the most popular characters, ensuring her return in the feature film Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me.
In 1992, Amick appeared in the 'Stephen King' horror movie Sleepwalkers. She has also appeared in TV movies such as Love, Cheat and Steal (1993). A highlight of Amick's film career is the 1994 feature film Dream Lover, a thriller in which she co-starred with 'James Spader'. Amick also appeared in the romantic comedy French Exit (1995) and the science fiction thriller Bombshell (1996).
Amick's return to network TV came in the fall of 1995 with the much-publicized CBS dramatic series Central Park West. In 1998, Amick starred in the updated edition of Fantasy Island. Both shows only lasted one season.
After a decade of roles that failed to ignite the publicity Twin Peaks had, Amick gradually became a noticeable face in television with recurring roles on Gilmore Girls, ER, Jake in Progress, and Joey.
In 2006, Amick was a regular in the sitcom Freddie which was subsequently cancelled. Amick guest starred in a number of episodes of the serial thriller Kidnapped on NBC, playing a strange and deadly assassin. She also had a recurring role in the second season of Dawson's Creek as the lead character's substitute film studies teacher. In 2007, she had a lead role in the short-lived CBS musical series Viva Laughlin.
She had a recurring role in season 2 of Gossip Girl as Nate Archibald's "cougar" love interest, and she also appears in the second season of the Showtime series Californication. In 2008, Amick appeared as Christian Slater's wife on the NBC series My Own Worst Enemy. In 2010, Amick played Danielle Marchetti on the FX series Damages.
She will co-star in the upcoming Lifetime series Witches of East End.
Amick married songwriter David Alexis (1992). The couple have two children.
- (1996) Chosen by Femme Fatales magazine as one of the 50 sexiest sci-fi actresses.
- Worked as a fashion model for Elite Agency.
- Measurements: 32-23 1/2-33, on her 1988 Elite card. (Source: Celebrity Sleuth magazine)
- According to Amick, director 'David Lynch (I)' (qv) played a pivotal role in her development as an actress.
- Was one of hundreds of actresses who were specifically auditioned for a role as Wesley Crusher's girlfriend on the _"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ (qv) episode "The Dauphin". She lost the competition to 'Jaime Hubbard' (qv), but appeared on the episode as her friend and bodyguard.
- Is half German, a quarter Norwegian, a quarter Swedish.
- Is friends with 'David Lynch (I)' (qv).
- Made the cover of Rolling Stone magazine in October 1990, along with 'Sherilyn Fenn' (qv) and 'Lara Flynn Boyle' (qv) while promoting _"Twin Peaks" (1990)_ (qv). They were the first non-musicians to make the cover of the magazine.
Related sites for this celeb