Sep. 28th, 1971
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Matt Day's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Matthew "Matt" Day is an Australian actor best known for his film and television roles
Early life and career
Matt Day was born in Melbourne in 1971. When he was 11 years old he went to live in the United States with his father, who was a newspaper correspondent, and it was there that he became interested in acting.
On his return to Australia, he joined the youth theatre as St Martins in South Yarra.He was spotted by an agent and at the age of 17, left his home in Carlton in Melbourne to go to Sydney for the role in the television series A Country Practice that was to be his big break.
He joined the cast of A Country Practice in 1989, as Luke Ross, a role he played until 1991. Further TV roles included Water Rats, Farscape, and Spooks.
He also appeared in the hit film Muriel's Wedding. Other film roles include Love and Other Catastrophes, Doing Time for Patsy Cline, Kiss or Kill (for which he was nominated for an AFI award), and My Brother Jack (mini series).
During his time in England from 2000 to 2007, Day played many television roles including BBC's 2002 version of The Hound of the Baskervilles, in which he played Sir Henry Baskerville, The Love of Lionel's Life and a guest role in Spooks. He has said that his favourite role of this period was the photographer Frank Hurley in the 2002 Channel 4 telemovie Shackleton, in which Kenneth Branagh played the title role.
His most recent film is My Year Without Sex (2009), directed by Sarah Watt.
Day's parents divorced when he was young. When he was 7 and his brother Chris was 5, his mother, an English teacher, took them around Europe for six months. He said later that "the whole experience went definitely some way to influencing my wanderlust".
Day moved with his wife, journalist Kirsty Thomason, to England in 2000, not returning to Australia until 2007. The couple and their son now live in Sydney.
* My Year Without Sex (2009).
* Scoop (2006).
* And Starring Pancho Villa as Himself (2003).
* Muggers (2000).
* The Sugar Factory (1998).
* Doing Time for Patsy Cline (1997).
* The Two-Wheeled Time Machine (1997).
* Kiss or Kill (1997).
* Dating the Enemy (1996).
* Love and Other Catastrophes (1996).
* Muriel's Wedding (1994).
* Rake (2010, 8 Episodes).
* Underbelly: The Golden Mile (2010, 3 Episodes).
* Tangle (2009 - 2010, 16 Episodes).
* The Informant (2008).
* Spooks (2006, 2 Episodes).
* Hell Has Harbour Views (2005).
* Shackleton (2002).
* My Brother Jack (2001).
* Farscape (2000, 3 Episodes).
* The Love of Lionel's Life (2000).
* Water Rats (1996, 1 Episode).
* The Beast (1996).
* G.P. (1995, 1 Episode).
* Snowy River: The McGregor Saga (1995, 1 Episode).
* The Bob Morrison Show (1994, 26 Episodes).
* A Country Practice (1989-1992, 1993, 227 Episodes).
* The Wonderful World of Dissocia, Sydney Theatre Company, Sydney, 2009.
* Scarlett O'Hara At the Crimson Parrot, Arts Centre Playhouse, Melbourne, 2008.
* Fred, Sydney Theatre Company, Sydney, 1999.
* Six Degrees of Separation, Sydney Theatre Company, Sydney, 1998.
* Man of the Moment, Esemble Productions Theatre, Sydney
Related sites for this celeb