Jan. 23rd, 1964
Santa Monica, California, USA
Mariska Hargitay's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Mariska (Ma-rish-ka) Magdolna Hargitay (born January 23, 1964), in Santa Monica, California. Her parents are 'Mickey Hargitay' and 'Jayne Mansfield'. She is the youngest of their three children. In June 1967, Mariska and her brothers Zoltan and Mickey Jr. were in the back seat of a car when it was involved in the fatal accident which killed her mother. The children escaped with minor injuries.
Mariska majored in theater at UCLA but dropped out before graduating. Her first motion picture feature was the cult favorite, Ghoulies (1985), where she gave a memorable performance as Donna. She also appeared in Leaving Las Vegas (1995), credited as 'Hooker at the bar', and in Lake Placid (1999) as Myra Okubo. Her latest movie, Plain Truth (2004), in which she plays attorney Ellie Harrison will air in the fall of 2004.
In 1999 she was cast in the role of Det. Olivia Benson in Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (1999), the first spinoff from the excellent franchise of Law & Order (1990) which also has two other spinoffs, Law & Order: Criminal Intent (2001) and Law & Order: Trial by Jury (2005). This show deals with sex crimes and the detectives who solve these cases.
Mariska speaks English, Hungarian, French and Italian. She married actor 'Peter Hermann' (August 28, 2004). They divide their time between New York and Los Angeles.
- Her publicist is 'Gary Mantoosh' (qv).
- Good friends with actress 'Hilary Swank' (qv). Hilary stays with Mariska when on location in New York.
- Replaced 'Gabrielle Fitzpatrick' (qv) in _Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (1995)_ (qv) as Dulcea, but her scenes were re-shot with 'Gabrielle Fitzpatrick' (qv) returning as Dulcea.
- She learned to swim at the age of two and later swam for her high school.
- First woman ever from the Law and Order franchise to receive award nominations and wins.
- Stepdaughter of 'Ellen Hargitay' (qv).
- Founder and President of a non-profit organization to aid the victims of rape - The Joyful Heart Foundation.
- Measurements: 36-24-36 (Source: Celebrity Sleuth magazine)