Jan. 23rd, 1964
Santa Monica, California, USA
Mariska Hargitay's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Mariska (Ma-rish-ka) Magdolna Hargitay (born January 23, 1964), in Santa Monica, California. Her parents are 'Mickey Hargitay' and 'Jayne Mansfield'. She is the youngest of their three children. In June 1967, Mariska and her brothers Zoltan and Mickey Jr. were in the back seat of a car when it was involved in the fatal accident which killed her mother. The children escaped with minor injuries.
Mariska majored in theater at UCLA but dropped out before graduating. Her first motion picture feature was the cult favorite, Ghoulies (1985), where she gave a memorable performance as Donna. She also appeared in Leaving Las Vegas (1995), credited as 'Hooker at the bar', and in Lake Placid (1999) as Myra Okubo. Her latest movie, Plain Truth (2004), in which she plays attorney Ellie Harrison will air in the fall of 2004.
In 1999 she was cast in the role of Det. Olivia Benson in Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (1999), the first spinoff from the excellent franchise of Law & Order (1990) which also has two other spinoffs, Law & Order: Criminal Intent (2001) and Law & Order: Trial by Jury (2005). This show deals with sex crimes and the detectives who solve these cases.
Mariska speaks English, Hungarian, French and Italian. She married actor 'Peter Hermann' (August 28, 2004). They divide their time between New York and Los Angeles.
- First woman ever from the Law and Order franchise to receive award nominations and wins.
- Spoke in 2007 for Girl Scouts of Greater New York Scholars Program about her career and how she became who she is.
- Majored in theatre at UCLA, but quit shortly before graduating.
- Became good friends with 'Maria Bello' (qv) when she had a recurring role on _"ER" (1994)_ (qv) in 1997-1998.
- Friend of 'Angelique L'Amour' (qv), 'Jennifer Barker' (qv) and 'Joely Fisher' (qv).
- Won the Miss Beverly Hills 1982 pagent.
- One of People magazine's "100 most beautiful" (2008).
- Is half-sister of Tina Hargitay (b. 1949) through her father's first wife Mary Birge.