Feb. 17th, 1962
Subic Bay Naval Station, Philippines
Lou Diamond Phillips' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Phillips was born at the Subic Bay Naval Station in the Philippines, the son of Lucita Aranas and Gerald Upchurch, an officer in the United State Navy. His father was an American of Scottish-Irish and one-quarter Cherokee descent, and his mother, a native of Candelaria, Zambales, is of Filipino Spanish descent.
Phillips was named after Marine legend Leland "Lou" Diamond. After his father died, he took his stepfather's surname "Phillips" as his own.
He was raised in Texas, where he attended Flour Bluff High School in Corpus Christi graduating in 1980. He graduated from the University of Texas at Arlington with a BFA in Drama.
- Is 1/8 Cherokee.
- Good friends with 'Kiefer Sutherland' (qv).
- Lou and his wife, Yvonne, became the parents of a girl, Indigo Sanara, on October 9, 2007.
- First wife, 'Julie Cypher' (qv), partnered with 'Melissa Etheridge' (qv).
- Was nominated for Broadway's 1996 Tony Award as Best Actor (Musical) for playing one of the title roles, the King, in a revival of "The King and I."
- Graduate of the University of Texas at Arlington with a BFA in Drama
- Is of Spanish, Scottish/Irish, Chinese, Filipino, Hawaiian, and Cherokee ancestry.
- The name Phillips is from his step-father.