Jul. 30th, 1963
Encino, California, USA
Lisa Kudrow's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Kudos for Kudrow! Hardly the dumb blonde of Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997), Lisa Kudrow (born July 30, 1963) in Encino, California. Her father, Lee, was a physician and her mother, Nedra, was a travel agent. Kudrow was raised in Tarzana and played varsity-level tennis in high school and college, and is a pool shark who has mastered some of the more difficult trick shots (so beware). She graduated from Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, New York, with a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychobiology.
At first, she wanted to pursue a career in research, so she returned to Los Angeles to begin working with her father. However, Kudrow got inspired to perform by one of her brother's friends, comedian 'Jon Lovitz' , and so the tall (5' 8") blond-haired, green-eyed beauty entered show biz. Kudrow auditioned for the improv theater group, The Groundlings, based in Los Angeles. 'Cynthia Szigeti', a well-known improv teacher, took Kudrow under her wing. In that class, Kudrow became a friend of 'Conan O'Brien'. Graduating with honors in 1989, Kudrow became a full-fledged member of The Groundlings.
Breaking into TV, she got a recurring role as Ursula, the ditsy waitress on Mad About You (1992). This led to her starring role on Friends (1994). In the debut season (1994-95) of Friends (1994), Kudrow earned an Emmy nomination as Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series; in 1998, she won that award for her role as Phoebe, the ditsy but lovable folk singer. Lisa has also been nominated for Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild and American Comedy Awards for her performances.
Kudrow made the transition to the big screen with a lot of success. In 1997, she starred opposite Oscar winner 'Mira Sorvino' in the above-mentioned Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997). Kudrow garnered more praise for her film work when she got the New York Film Critics Award for her starring role in The Opposite of Sex (1998).
Kudrow married Michel Stern, an advertising executive, (May 27, 1995). They were blessed with a son, Julian Murray (b. May 7, 1988); they live in Los Angeles.
- Was considered for a role in _Evan Almighty (2007)_ (qv).
- Is a vegetarian.
- Filmed all her scenes for _Wonderland (2003)_ (qv) in three days.
- Received a degree in Biology from Vassar College, and 'Mira Sorvino' (qv) received a degree in Asian Studies from Harvard University, so during production of _Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997)_ (qv), they nicknamed each other "Smart" and "Smarter".
- Her character Phoebe Buffay in _"Friends" (1994)_ (qv) became pregnant with her brother's triplets (by artificial insemination) to cover up Kudrow's own pregnancy.
- She took the role in _Hotel for Dogs (2009)_ (qv), so her son could see some of her work, because she think he is to young to see her other movies, like _Powder Blue (2009)_ (qv), _P.S. I Love You (2007)_ (qv) and _The Opposite of Sex (1998)_ (qv).
- Attended grade school with 'Daniel Pearl (III)' (qv), the journalist who was murdered in Pakistan.
- Father is a doctor.