Jul. 30th, 1963
Encino, California, USA
Lisa Kudrow's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Kudos for Kudrow! Hardly the dumb blonde of Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997), Lisa Kudrow (born July 30, 1963) in Encino, California. Her father, Lee, was a physician and her mother, Nedra, was a travel agent. Kudrow was raised in Tarzana and played varsity-level tennis in high school and college, and is a pool shark who has mastered some of the more difficult trick shots (so beware). She graduated from Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, New York, with a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychobiology.
At first, she wanted to pursue a career in research, so she returned to Los Angeles to begin working with her father. However, Kudrow got inspired to perform by one of her brother's friends, comedian 'Jon Lovitz' , and so the tall (5' 8") blond-haired, green-eyed beauty entered show biz. Kudrow auditioned for the improv theater group, The Groundlings, based in Los Angeles. 'Cynthia Szigeti', a well-known improv teacher, took Kudrow under her wing. In that class, Kudrow became a friend of 'Conan O'Brien'. Graduating with honors in 1989, Kudrow became a full-fledged member of The Groundlings.
Breaking into TV, she got a recurring role as Ursula, the ditsy waitress on Mad About You (1992). This led to her starring role on Friends (1994). In the debut season (1994-95) of Friends (1994), Kudrow earned an Emmy nomination as Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series; in 1998, she won that award for her role as Phoebe, the ditsy but lovable folk singer. Lisa has also been nominated for Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild and American Comedy Awards for her performances.
Kudrow made the transition to the big screen with a lot of success. In 1997, she starred opposite Oscar winner 'Mira Sorvino' in the above-mentioned Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997). Kudrow garnered more praise for her film work when she got the New York Film Critics Award for her starring role in The Opposite of Sex (1998).
Kudrow married Michel Stern, an advertising executive, (May 27, 1995). They were blessed with a son, Julian Murray (b. May 7, 1988); they live in Los Angeles.
- (1997) Chosen by "People" magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World.
- Is a major fan of 'Diane Keaton' (qv).
- Played tennis in high school.
- Convinced to quit her job as a medical researcher to become a full-time actress by 'Jon Lovitz' (qv).
- Until 2004 was the only cast member of _"Friends" (1994)_ (qv) to have a child. 'Matt LeBlanc' (qv)'s daughter Marina Pearl was born February 8, 2004, and 'Courteney Cox' (qv)'s daughter Coco Riley was born June 13, 2004.
- The story line of Phoebe Buffay having her brother's babies was thought up in _"Friends" (1994)_ (qv), was when she announced her real-life pregnancy. However, as she was not big enough to be having triplets, and the show was shot in "TV time", the costumers had to pad her to make her look bigger for the show.
- On the day she gave birth to her son Julian, NBC aired the season finale of _"Friends" (1994)_ (qv) - "The One With Ross' Wedding Parts 1 & 2". She sent these episodes as her Emmy tape submissions and subsequently won the Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Emmy.
- She waited to marriage (age 31) to lose her virginity. Said in "People" magazine that her mother told her it was a special gift for her husband.