Oct. 4th, 1967
San Francisco, California, USA
Liev Schreiber's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Liev (pronounced Lee-ev) is the son of Heather, a painter, and 'Tell Schreiber', a theatrical actor with a small role in The Keeper (1976). When he was one, the family moved from San Francisco to Canada. His parents were divorced when he was five. He and his mother moved to New York, where she drove a cab. During that time, they lived as squatters in abandoned buildings. His mother taught him to read, and she also forbade him from seeing color movies. He grew up seeing silent and black & white movies at a local revival house and particularly enjoyed those of 'Charles Chaplin'. His mother now lives in an ashram in Virginia. He began acting at Hampshire College and continued at the Yale University School of Drama in 1992. He originally wanted to be a playwright, but his teacher encouraged him to become an actor.
- His mother is of German-Ukranian-Polish heritage (maternal grandfather was from Ukraine) and his father was of Austrian-Scottish-Swiss heritage.
- Second son is named Samuel Kai.
- After his parents divorced, he and his siblings saw their father very little during childhood.
- Growing up, his mother didn't allow him to watch color movies. The first color movie he saw was Star Wars in 1977.
- Won the 2005 Tony Award best featured actor in a play for Glengarry Glen Ross.
- Attended London's Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, Hampshire College and graduated from Yale.
- Son of actor 'Tell Schreiber' (qv) and Heather. Has four half brothers and one half sister, including brother 'Pablo Schreiber' (qv).
- Attended high school with actress 'Amanda Peet (I)' (qv) when he was a senior and she was a freshman.