Nov. 11th, 1974
Hollywood, California, USA
Leonardo DiCaprio's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Leonardo DiCaprio's name allegedly derives from his German mother Irmalin's having experienced a sudden kick from her unborn boy while enjoying a DaVinci painting at the Uffizi. In the year following his birth, she and his Italian father, George, were divorced. He grew up in Echo Park, then a particularly seedy, drug-dominated area of Los Angeles. At five he appeared on his favorite TV show Romper Room (1953) and was nearly thrown off for misbehaving. After a string of commercials, educational films ("Mickey's Safety Club"), occasional parts in TV series, a debut film role as Josh in Critters 3 (1991), a continuing role as the homeless boy Luke in the TV series Growing Pains (1985), he got his break-through part as Toby in This Boy's Life (1993), co-starring with 'Robert De Niro' and 'Ellen Barkin'.
The part led the New York Film Critics and the National Society of Film Critics to name him runner-up for Best Supporting Actor. His first Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations came for the difficult role of Arnie in What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993). Equally challenging parts were a drug-troubled Jim Carroll in The Basketball Diaries (1995), the tormented homosexual poet Rimbaud in Total Eclipse (1995), and the angry teenage son of a harried mother in Marvin's Room (1996). He made a major impact with his starring role in a very updated Romeo + Juliet (1996). Superstardom came to DiCaprio playing Jack Dawson in Titanic (1997), highest grossing film ever, tied with Ben-Hur (1959) for most Academy Awards, though Leo himself was not nominated. His performance in the remake of The Man in the Iron Mask (1998) was poorly received, but the film still turned a profit. His next major film, The Beach (2000), was not a success, but he made another comeback in Catch Me If You Can (2002) and remains an A-list star.
- Openly supported 'John Kerry (I)' (qv) in the 2004 election. He went around 11 states and gave 20 speeches about the environment and how the Bush Administration has damaged it.
- His father, 'George DiCaprio (I)' (qv), is of German and Italian descent and is an underground writer, editor and distributor of comic books. His mother, 'Irmelin DiCaprio' (qv), is German and a former legal secretary.
- (November 2003) When his camera went missing, he offered a substantial reward of many thousands of pounds for its return.
- Bought 'Kate Winslet' (qv) an inscribed gold ring, after they finished filming _Revolutionary Road (2008)_ (qv) together. The inscription, however, Winslet keeps a secret.
- His first publicity spot was about MILK.
- 'Martin Scorsese' (qv) is his favorite director.
- Very good friends with actress 'Kate Winslet' (qv) and 'Vincent Gallo' (qv).
- Was trained by renowned Hollywood Gun Coach 'Thell Reed' (qv), who has also trained such actors as: 'Brad Pitt' (qv), 'Val Kilmer' (qv), 'Edward Norton (I)' (qv), 'Russell Crowe' (qv), 'Ben Foster (I)' (qv) and 'Girard Swan' (qv).