Nov. 11th, 1974
Hollywood, California, USA
Leonardo DiCaprio's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Leonardo DiCaprio's name allegedly derives from his German mother Irmalin's having experienced a sudden kick from her unborn boy while enjoying a DaVinci painting at the Uffizi. In the year following his birth, she and his Italian father, George, were divorced. He grew up in Echo Park, then a particularly seedy, drug-dominated area of Los Angeles. At five he appeared on his favorite TV show Romper Room (1953) and was nearly thrown off for misbehaving. After a string of commercials, educational films ("Mickey's Safety Club"), occasional parts in TV series, a debut film role as Josh in Critters 3 (1991), a continuing role as the homeless boy Luke in the TV series Growing Pains (1985), he got his break-through part as Toby in This Boy's Life (1993), co-starring with 'Robert De Niro' and 'Ellen Barkin'.
The part led the New York Film Critics and the National Society of Film Critics to name him runner-up for Best Supporting Actor. His first Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations came for the difficult role of Arnie in What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993). Equally challenging parts were a drug-troubled Jim Carroll in The Basketball Diaries (1995), the tormented homosexual poet Rimbaud in Total Eclipse (1995), and the angry teenage son of a harried mother in Marvin's Room (1996). He made a major impact with his starring role in a very updated Romeo + Juliet (1996). Superstardom came to DiCaprio playing Jack Dawson in Titanic (1997), highest grossing film ever, tied with Ben-Hur (1959) for most Academy Awards, though Leo himself was not nominated. His performance in the remake of The Man in the Iron Mask (1998) was poorly received, but the film still turned a profit. His next major film, The Beach (2000), was not a success, but he made another comeback in Catch Me If You Can (2002) and remains an A-list star.
- (2000) A Manhattan appeals court decided to go ahead with a $45 million lawsuit against DiCaprio by actor and screenwriter 'Roger Wilson (I)' (qv) for allegedly encouraging his friends in a street fight with Wilson over advances DiCaprio's friends made toward Wilson's girlfriend, 'Elizabeth Berkley' (qv).
- Bought 'Kate Winslet' (qv) an inscribed gold ring, after they finished filming _Revolutionary Road (2008)_ (qv) together. The inscription, however, Winslet keeps a secret.
- His favorite food is pasta. His favorite drink is lemonade.
- Was considered for the role of Anakin Skywalker for _Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002)_ (qv). But much to the relief of hardcore Star Wars fans, the role went to 'Hayden Christensen' (qv) instead.
- He purchased a 104-acre island off the coast of Belize in 2005 and plans to develop a resort with renewable energy sources. Purchase price for the island, Blackadore Caye, was estimated to be $1.75 million.
- Attended Seeds Elementary School at UCLA where he took summer courses in performance art
- (16 April 1999) While filming _The Beach (2000/I)_ (qv) off the coast of Thailand, Leonardo and others were swept off a camera boat by strong winds and waves. No one was injured.
- When he was a child, his favorite films were _Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)_ (qv), _Watership Down (1978)_ (qv) and _Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971)_ (qv).