Nov. 2nd, 1964
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Lauren Vélez's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born in Brooklyn and raised in Queens, New York among eight siblings including her twin sister Lorraine, Lauren Velez dreamed of becoming an actress ever since she played a groundhog in a school play in second grade. Immediately following high school, she received a scholarship from the 'Alvin Ailey' Dance School which led to her first job performing in the national touring company of the musical "Dreamgirls". Later she became understudy for actress 'Phylicia Rashad' in Broadway's "Into the Woods". Her most visible role was that of "Nina Moreno" on the cop drama _"New York Undercover" (1994). With her varied performances and Afro-Latin background and appearance, Velez's success is considered -- by fans and critics alike -- a breakthrough for Latina actresses who do not fit the stereotypical "Europeanized Hollywood" version of Latin females. As a result, Velez deservedly has a large multi-ethnic following.
- One of three actors to star in the television series Dexter and Oz, along with David Zayas and Erik King.
- Considered for the role of "Hallie" in Scream 2, she was even credited as playing the character in the fictional "Stab 2" (a film within in film) on the The Scream special edition DVD.
- (2006) She won her first acting award during the Long Island Film Expo Festival 2006 for the feature film, Serial: Best Supporting Actress award.
- Twin sister of 'Loraine Velez' (qv).
- Has an identical twin sister, Lorraine, who often plays doubles for her on sets. Her twin has taken over roles for her on Broadway and who is currently (2001) starring in London on the West End stage in RENT.
Related sites for this celeb