Dec. 21st, 1966
London, England, UK
Kiefer Sutherland's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Kiefer Sutherland (born December 21, 1966) in London, England, UK to parents 'Donald Sutherland' and 'Shirley Douglas'. He got his first film role in the movie Max Dugan Returns (1983). Sutherland's first major role was in the Canadian drama, The Bay Boy (1984), which earned Sutherland and director 'Daniel Petrie', Genie award nominations for best actor and best director, respectively. Following his success in The Bay Boy, Sutherland eventually moved to Los Angeles and landed television appearances in The Mission, an episode of Amazing Stories (1985) and in the telefilm Trapped in Silence (1986) with 'Marsha Mason'.
In 1992, Sutherland starred opposite 'Ray Liotta' and 'Forest Whitaker' in Article 99 (1992) and in the military drama A Few Good Men (1992) also starring 'Jack Nicholson' and 'Tom Cruise'. Later, in 1994, he starred with 'Jeff Bridges' and 'Nancy Travis' in the American version of The Vanishing (1993) for Twentieth Century Fox.
In 1997, he co-starred with 'William Hurt' and 'Rufus Sewell' in Dark City (1998), directed by 'Alex Proyas', which was a special presentation at the Cannes Film Festival. Sutherland also added his second directorial credit and starred in Truth or Consequences, N.M. (1997) alongside 'Kevin Pollak', 'Mykelti Williamson', 'Rod Steiger' and 'Martin Sheen'. He currently stars in the Fox drama 24 (2001) as Jack Bauer for which he has earned a Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Drama Series. Most recently he has been seen in the movie Phone Booth (2002) as a man who calls up someone at a phone booth and threatens to kill them if they hang up.
- Has a pet hamster named Carlos.
- Despite being in _Phone Booth (2002)_ (qv) and _Taking Lives (2004)_ (qv) for less then 3 minutes in each movie, he shares top billing with his co-stars.
- Was engaged to 'Julia Roberts (I)' (qv)
- At about 5'9", Kiefer is extremely short by the standards of his father's side of the family. For example, his father stands 6' 4" and his half-brothers are all well over 6 feet.
- Even though he physically appears onscreen for less than three minutes in _Phone Booth (2002)_ (qv), he received second billing behind 'Colin Farrell (I)' (qv).
- Lives in the Silver Lake area of Los Angeles.
- Has a 1967 Chevy Chevelle that he has a "personal attachment to"
- Among the many reasons cited for the break-up of his first marriage, one was his friendship with _The Lost Boys (1987)_ (qv) castmate 'Jason Patric' (qv) and other members of the "brat pack" -- ironically enough, his friendship with 'Jason Patric' (qv) dissolved after his fiance 'Julia Roberts (I)' (qv) left with Patric for Europe.