Apr. 26th, 1965
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Kevin James' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Kevin was born April 26, 1965, to Janet and Joseph Valentine Knipfing. He attended Cortland University where he played fullback on the football team while majoring in sports management. He realized after 3 years that this wasn't the path for him. After returning home, he decided to go back home and to break up the monotony of the summer, he joined a community theater. During a play in which he had a comedic role, he so enjoyed the crowd reaction, that he joined his brother's (comedian Gary Valentine (I)'s) improv group. He began going to clubs with Gary and realized he, too, had the knack for comedy. He has performed standup up for about 11 years. It was on the comedy circuit that he met Ray Romano (I). While Ray was getting a big break with his own sitcom, Kevin was getting recognition on "Star Search" (1983). After appearing on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" (1992), his big break came at the 1996 "Just for Laughs" Montreal Comedy Festival. Afterward, he landed a recurring role on Ray's sitcom, "Everybody Loves Raymond" (1996). He has since received his own sitcom "The King of Queens" (1998).
- Close friends with 'Ray Romano (I)' (qv). They met while doing stand-up comedy, on the comedy circuit.
- Helped corner 'Bas Rutten' (qv) for his comeback fight (win by KO -- Leg Kicks) vs. Ruben Villareal at an MMA event (_"Inside MMA" (2007)_ (qv)) held on July 22, 2006.
- His wife, Steffiana, gave birth to their first child, Sienna-Marie on Friday September 30, 2005.
- His big break came in 1996 when he won at the "Just for Laughs" Montreal Comedy Festival.
- Attended Cortland University, along with former wrestler and current best selling author 'Mick Foley (I)' (qv) (with whom he also attended high school).
- He met his wife on a blind date arranged by his interior decorator.
- In June 1999 and 2000, he hosted the Florida Sports Awards, the official sports award show for the state of Florida, in Jacksonville, Fla. This event raises funds for the Otis F. Smith Foundation.
- Kevin and Steffiana became the parents of a second girl, Shea Joelle James, on June 14, 2007, in Los Angeles.