Feb. 21st, 1955
St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
Kelsey Grammer's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
A five-time Emmy Award winner, Grammer is the first actor in television history to receive multiple Emmy nominations for performing the same role on three series. He received two nominations for his original portrayal of Dr. Frasier Crane on "Cheers" (1982), another for his guest appearance in that role on "Wings" (1990), and nine nominations (earning four awards) as Outstanding Actor for his work on "Frasier" (1993). Over the years, Dr. Frasier Crane has become one of television's most endearing and enduring characters. In addition to his Emmys, Grammer has won two Golden Globe Awards, two American Comedy Awards and a People's Choice Award for his portrait. Grammer's distinctive voice has been heard in several hit animated features, including the voice of "Stinky Pete" in Disney's hit Toy Story 2 (1999) and a part in Anastasia (1997). On television, he has also been seen in several mini-series and movies. In 1996, he hosted an hour-long salute to Jack Benny for which he served as executive producer. He also starred in HBO's award-winning The Pentagon Wars (1998) (TV).
Born in St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands, Grammer was raised by his mother and grandfather in New Jersey and then Florida. After his grandfather's death, Grammer was drawn to the works of William Shakespeare (I) and spent two years at the prestigious Juilliard School. He then dove into the world of regional theater, eventually making the leap to Broadway with roles in "Macbeth" and "Othello." He joined the cast of "Cheers" (1982) in 1984. His autobiography, "So Far", was published in fall 1995.
- Attended high school at Pine Crest School in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, one of the most prestigious high schools in the country.
- (2001) Signed a new 2 season deal for _"Frasier" (1993)_ (qv). He will be getting about £1.1 million per episode. This makes him the highest paid TV star ever.
- Is the only actor to be nominated for an Emmy for three TV shows, all for the same character (Frasier Crane in _"Cheers" (1982)_ (qv), _"Frasier" (1993)_ (qv) and a guest appearance on _"Wings" (1990)_ (qv)).
- His father was murdered in the Virgin Islands. His sister was murdered while finishing a shift working at a Red Lobster in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Had two step brothers (from his Dad's second marriage) that were killed in a shark/scuba accident.
- His two best known roles are characters on television series: Frasier Crane and Sideshow Bob. Both characters have a brother played by 'David Hyde Pierce' (qv) and a father played by 'John Mahoney (I)' (qv).
- Was the original voice for the Geico Gecko.
- Appears as "Beast" in _X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)_ (qv). 'George Buza' (qv), who was the voice of "Beast" in the animated television series, played a truck driver in the first _X-Men (2000)_ (qv) film. 'Steve Bacic' (qv) played a "Dr. Hank McCoy" in _X2 (2003)_ (qv).
- His daughter, 'Spencer Grammer' (qv), was on the "One Hugs, The Other Doesn't" episode of _"Cheers" (1982)_ (qv).