Jun. 13th, 1986
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
5' 4 1/2
Kat Dennings' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Dennings was born and raised in the Bryn Mawr area near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Her mother, Ellen Judith Litwack, is a poet and speech therapist, and her father, Gerald J. Litwack, is a molecular pharmacologist and college professor and chairman. Dennings is the youngest of five children, including an older brother, Geoffrey S. Litwack. Her family is Jewish.
Dennings was home schooled; her only enrollment at a traditional school was for a half-day at Friends' Central School. She graduated from high school early, at the age of 14. She moved with her family to Los Angeles, California around 2002 so that she could act full time. She adopted the name Dennings as her professional name when she was younger. According to Dennings, as stated in Interview magazine in 2007, her parents initially considered her idea of pursuing an acting career to be "the worst idea ever".
Dennings began her career in commercials at the age of 10. Her first acting job was an ad for potato chips. Dennings broke into television with an appearance on HBO's Sex and the City in 2000.
Dennings has been blogging since January 2001, and later transitioned into video blogging on YouTube. She is an avid reader and is friends with author Andrea Seigel. Dennings stated to The Jewish Journal of Greater Los Angeles that Judaism "is an important part of my history, but, as a whole, religion is not a part of my life." In December 2008, Dennings told BlackBook magazine, "I don’t drink and I don’t smoke and I don’t like being around people who do."
In an interview with The Times in January 2009, Dennings stated, “I don’t have a boyfriend. I have friends, girl friends, great friends. We just hang out in other’s places and have one-on-one bonding time.” Later, in an interview with Daydream Nation co-star Josh Lucas and interviewer David Poland, Dennings admitted to having a boyfriend.
- Kat, who portrays 'Bob Saget' (qv)'s oldest daughter on _"Raising Dad" (2001)_ , was born on the same day and in the same year (June 13th, 1986) as 'Mary-Kate Olsen' (qv) and 'Ashley Olsen' (qv), who portrayed Saget's youngest daughter on _"Full House" (1987)_ (qv).
- She is near-sighted.
- Took piano lessons for her role as Sloane in "Raise Your Voice".
- Was originally cast as Laynie Hart on _"Everwood" (2002)_ (qv), but the role was recast for unknown reasons. It later went to 'Nora Zehetner' (qv).
- Most of the characters she plays tend to be "rebellious daughters" around 15 or 16.
- She suffers from Arachnophobia, fear of spiders.
- Of her family members she has a mother named Ellie, father named Gerald, a brother named Geoffrey, and a sister named Debbie.
- Ranked #55 on interview magazines Hollywood faces to watch "Future Stars of Tomorrow".