Dec. 29th, 1938
Yonkers, New York, USA
Jon Voight's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Jon Voight was born on December 29, 1938 in Yonkers, New York, USA as Jonathan Vincent Voight. He is an actor, known for Mission: Impossible (1996), Heat (1995) andTransformers (2007). He was previously married to Marcheline Bertrand and Lauri Peters.
- Graduated from Catholic University of America, Washington, DC, in 1960. Changed his major after his Freshman year from Speech and Drama to Art.
- Father of actor 'James Haven (I)' (qv) (b. 1973) and actress 'Angelina Jolie' (qv) (b. 1975) with 'Marcheline Bertrand' (qv).
- His paternal grandfather was a Slovak immigrant. His mother Barbara Kamp (born in New York, 7 January 1910 and died Palm Beach Co., Florida, 3 December 1995) was the daughter of Joseph Kamp, a German immigrant, and wife Margaret Franz, also the daughter of German immigrants.
- Turned down the role of "Matt Hooper" in _Jaws (1975)_ (qv). The role went to 'Richard Dreyfuss' (qv).
- Played father to 'Rick Schroder' (qv) twice: The first time in _The Champ (1979)_ (qv) and the second time in _"Return to Lonesome Dove" (1993)_ (qv).
- His brother is songwriter Wes Voight who, under the alias 'Chip Taylor' (qv), wrote 'The Troggs' (qv)' 1966 smash hit "Wild Thing." His other songs include "Angel of the Morning" ('Merrilee Rush' (qv)), "I Can't Let Go" ('The Hollies' (qv)), etc.
- In 1970, he accepted the Oscar for "Best Director" on behalf of 'John Schlesinger (I)' (qv), who wasn't present at the awards ceremony. Schlesinger directed Voight in _Midnight Cowboy (1969)_ (qv).
- Was considered for the role of Clark Kent/Superman in _Superman (1978)_ (qv).