Jun. 9th, 1963
Owensboro, Kentucky, USA
Johnny Depp's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
John Christopher "Johnny" Depp II (born June 9, 1963) is an American actor, film producer, and musician. Depp was born in Owensboro, Kentucky. He was raised in Florida. He dropped out of school at age 15 in the hopes of becoming a rock musician. He fronted a series of garage bands including The Kids, which once opened for Iggy Pop. Depp got into acting after a visit to Los Angeles, California, with his former wife, Lori Anne Allison, who introduced him to actor Nicolas Cage. He made his film debut in A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984). In 1987 he shot to stardom when he replaced Jeff Yagher in the role of undercover cop Tommy Hanson in the popular TV series 21 Jump Street (1987).
In 1990, after numerous roles in teen-oriented films, his first of a handful of great collaborations with director Tim Burton came about when Depp played the title role in Edward Scissorhands (1990). Following the film's success, Depp carved a niche for himself as a serious, somewhat dark, idiosyncratic performer, consistently selecting roles that surprised critics and audiences alike. He continued to gain critical acclaim and increasing popularity by appearing in many features before re-joining with Burton in the lead role of Ed Wood (1994).
In 1997 he played an undercover FBI agent in the fact-based film Donnie Brasco (1997), opposite Al Pacino; in 1998 he appeared in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998), directed by Terry Gilliam; and then, in 1999, he appeared in the sci-fi/horror film The Astronaut's Wife (1999). The same year he teamed up again with Burton in Sleepy Hollow (1999), brilliantly portraying Ichabod Crane.
Depp has played many characters in his career, including another fact-based one, Insp. Fred Abberline in From Hell (2001). He stole the show from screen greats such as Antonio Banderas in the finale to Robert Rodriguez's "mariachi" trilogy, Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003). In that same year he starred in the marvelous family blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003), playing a character that only the likes of Depp could pull off: the charming, conniving and roguish Capt. Jack Sparrow. Now Depp is collaborating again with Burton in a screen adaptation of Roald Dahl's novel, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005), the most recent being Dark Shadows (2012).
Depp played the former Heath Ledger character in the 2009 film The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus along with Jude Law and Colin Farrell. All three actors gave their salaries from the film to Ledger's daughter, Matilda. He portrayed the Mad Hatter in Burton's Alice in Wonderland, and the protagonist of Rango.
Off-screen, Depp has dated several female celebrities, and has been engaged to Jennifer Grey, Winona Ryder, Sherilyn Fenn and Kate Moss.
Depp was married to Lori Anne Allison in (1983) but they divorced her in (1985). Depp began a relationship with Vanessa Paradis, a French actress and singer whom he met while filming The Ninth Gate. After months of media speculation, Depp and Paradis announced their separation in June 2012. They have two children, daughter Lily-Rose Melody Depp (born 1999) and son John "Jack" Christopher Depp III (born 2002). Depp has been dating actress and model Amber Heard since 2012 after the pair met on the set of the film The Rum Diary. The couple became engaged on Christmas Eve in 2013.
- Was ranked #5 on VH1's 100 Hottest Hotties.
- Was listed as a potential nominee on the 2006 Razzie Award nominating ballot. He was suggested in the Worst Actor category for his performance in the film _Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)_ (qv), however, he failed to receive a nomination.
- His performance as Edward Scissorhands in _Edward Scissorhands (1990)_ is ranked #22 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
- A rule he has towards fans requesting his autograph and picture is that no photography is allowed of his children.
- Close friend of 'Abigail Breslin' (qv).
- Good friend with actress 'Helena Bonham Carter' (qv), partner of his best friend 'Tim Burton (I)' (qv).
- His children have the same names as "Mad" Jack and Lilly the Mermaid from the movie _Magic Island (1995) (V)_ (qv).
- Son, Jack, born to him and 'Vanessa Paradis' (qv) on April 9, 2002, in Neuilly, France, weighing just over 7 lbs.