72 (passed away Feb. 1st, 2005)
Feb. 24th, 1932
Zehner, Saskatchewan, Canada
John Vernon's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
John Vernon was a prolific stage-trained Canadian character player who made a career out of convincingly playing crafty villains, morally-bankrupt officials and heartless authority figures in American films and television since the 1960s. Vernon has been directed by some stellar filmmakers including Alfred Hitchcock (I) (Topaz (1969)); George Cukor (Justine (1969)); Don Siegel (Dirty Harry (1971)) and Clint Eastwood (The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)). After training at London's Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and honing his skills in Canadian theatre and television, Vernon made his US film debut in John Boorman's noir/gangster classic Point Blank (1967) as a trusted friend who betrays Lee Marvin. He again failed to inspire confidence as the ineffectual mayor of San Francisco in Dirty Harry (1971). Vernon may be best remembered as the sinister Dean Vernon Wormer in John Landis' Animal House (1978), a role he reprised for the TV spin-off "Delta House" (1979). This led to more film comedy roles, a highlight being Mr. Big in the blaxploitation spoof I'm Gonna Git You Sucka (1988).
- Father of 'Kate Vernon' (qv) and 'Nan Vernon (I)' (qv).
- Member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (Actors Branch)
- In later years provided voices for many video games.
- Cousin of Trent Gough.
- Third cousin of 'Trent Gough' (qv).
- Studied at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London, England.
- Has the unique achievement of having voiced both General Ross and Major Talbot from The Incredible Hulk comics. He played Major Talbot in the 1966 series, _"Hulk" (1966)_ (qv), and General Ross in the 1996 version, _"The Incredible Hulk" (1996)_ (qv).
- Of Polish, German and Armenian descent, he was one of two sons born to an immigrant grocer, Adolf Agopsowicz, and wife Eleanore Krückel and baptized at the Sacred Heart Roman Catholic parish in the nearby town of Arat, as Adolphus Raimundus Vernon Agopsowicz.
Related sites for this celeb