70 (passed away Jan. 19th, 1991)
Jan. 3rd, 1921
Los Angeles, California, USA
John Russell's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Handsome, rugged American leading man John Russell (whose credits are often confused with those of child actor Johnny Russell (I)) attended the University of California, where he was a student athlete. Serving in the US Marine Corps in WW II, he earned a battlefield commission and decorations for valor at Guadalcanal. His dark good looks brought him to the attention of a talent scout after the war and he began playing second leads and occasional heavies in major productions. In the 1950s, he branched into television and starred in several popular series, most notably "Lawman" (1958). His appearances were sporadic after the 1960s, though he was a memorable villain in Clint Eastwood's Pale Rider (1985).
- Buried at a military cemetery in Westwood California.
- Discovered by a talent agent while in a Beverly Hills restaurant
- Some references state Russell's birth name as William Lawrence Russell, but U.S. Census records and California birth and death records confirm his birth name as John Lawrence Russell.
- Married twice. His first marriage lasted over twenty years before their divorce. His second marriage to a much younger woman lasted less than a year. He had three children.
- A supporting actor in adult westerns and other "A"-budget films after WWII, he was almost a look-alike for John Trent (1906-61), star of "B" action films of an earlier generation, such as the "Tailspin Tommy" series. The two men were not even related (Trent's real name was LaVerne Brown).
- Was frequently seen in Westerns as tall, sneering villains.
- Enlisted in the US Marine Corps during WW II, was decorated for valor and received a field promotion to lieutenant during the battle of Guadalcanal. It was there he was wounded and also contracted a severe case of malaria. He was sent back to the US, hospitalized, and eventually received a medical discharge from the Corps.
- Born at 12:5am-PST
Related sites for this celeb