86 (passed away Jan. 22nd, 2020)
May. 28th, 1933
Brooklyn, New York
John Karlen's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
John Karlen was an American character actor known for Dark Shadows and Daughters of Darkness.
- John Karlen escorted his longtime friend, former _"Cagney & Lacey" (1982)_ co-star, and Emmy nominee (for _"Judging Amy" (1999)_ (qv)) 'Tyne Daly' (qv) to the 2003 Emmy Awards. After Ms. Daly won the Emmy (for her role as "Maxine"), Mr. Karlen gave her a hug and kiss which was caught on camera during the TV broadcast. Ms. Daly then went on to pay a brief but warm tribute to Mr. Karlen in her acceptance speech.
- John Karlen appeared, with Producer 'Dan Curtis (I)' (qv) and other surviving actors and personnel, in a tribute to their long-ago gothic-horror soap opera _"Dark Shadows" (1966)_ (qv), at the 'William Paley (I)' (qv) Museum of Television Arts, in Los Angeles CA, on March 8, 2001.
- He has admitted that he has a gambling addiction and that he has lost several thousand dollars over the years as a result.
- John Karlen's then-wife, 'Betty Karlen' (qv), guest-starred in an episode of _"Cagney & Lacey" (1982)_ (qv), marking the only time they appeared on the same TV series at the same time, though they did not have a scene together.
- Starred in a movie about the first World Trade Center bombing; then years later was at the WTC Marriott just days before the 2001 terrorist attack -- attending a Dark Shadows Festival.
- One son, Adam Karlen, born 1966.
- Was unhurt but visibly angry at event organizers after accidentally toppling from the stage at the 2004 Dark Shadows Weekend fan club meeting in Tarrytown, NY.
Related sites for this celeb